Eastern NH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JamesMor, Oct 4, 2005.

1. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Hey Guys,

I am heading to Eastern NH this weekend with my wife. We will actually be staying in Portland Maine (about 45 miles out and about 120 cheaper per evening). I have three goals while there:

(1) The bog (new london)...central NH
    (2) The Flume Gorge (White Mountains)
    (3) Moose (anywhere I can find them...probably up route 3).

Anyone have any ideas of places closer to portland? I am looking for things I have not done before (in addition to the favorites above).

-JM

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I like Glen Ellis Falls, east side of Mt Washington.
    6501265.glenellisfalls2.
    The best time is about 10 am, the sun is on just about the entire falls. By noon, shadows have darkened the left side rocks, 9 am and the right side is in shadow. If you get a grey day, it won't matter. On the West side of Mt Wash, there is Crawford Notch, nice RR station, the train comes up there about 1 pm +/-. The road to the Cog RR is also nice, lots of looks at the Ammonussuc River (ok, my spelling is off) and the base station for the cog can get some good shots in either the early am or later pm. Just try to stay out of North Conway, traffic gets bad. Just to the north side of N. Conway, there is a place called the Ledges, nice panoramas, sometimes rock climbers going up the face.
    The cog and Crawford are less than 30 minutes from the Flume, just head up the hill and take 302.

3. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    LL Bean?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    James,
    I don't know when you are going. Timing for the colors. They fall off ealier in NH higher elevations.

You will love the Flume and Mt Washington.

If you take route 2 to Santas Village LOLOL
    There is a Hotel named Skywood 1 mile east of Santa Place. Stop and take a pic for me.

Used to own that :)))

Enjoy..Sure you have been there before if you live in NY...