Eastern Shore Spring Migration Shoot III

Proposed Agenda

Thursday, May 13
As is our tradition, those of us who come to Cape Charles on Thursday generally shoot the sunset at the Bay Creek Lighthouse. We can do another location if you like so feel free to post your preferences.

We would want to be in place NLT 19:30
Sunset: 20:02
Twi: 20:31
Twi N: 21:06
Twi A: 21:44

Moonset: 20:05
New Moon: 8:05pm

Friday, May 14
- Sunrise at Oyster
Meet at Food Lion at 0500
We would want to be in place NLT 5:15
Twi N: 4:54
Twi: 5:29
Sunrise: 5:58
- 0800 Light Breakfast at Cape Charles Coffee House
- 0900-1100 Gardens and Scenics at Eyre Hall
- 1100-1300 Lunch and Midday Break
- 1300-1600 Free Time and Ad Hoc Shooting (Old buildings, churches, cemetaries, etc)
- 1600-1700 Break
- 1700-1930 Eastern Shore of Virginia NWR
- Sunset at Kiptopeke
We would want to be in place NLT 19:30
Sunset: 20:03
Twi: 20:32
Twi N: 21:07
Twi A: 21:45

Moonrise: 6:02
Moonset: 21:10

Saturday, May 15
- 0400-1130 Chincoteague/Assateague
Leave from Food Lion at 0400
We would want to be in place NLT 5:10
Twi: 5:28
Sunrise: 5:57
- 1130-1300 Lunch and Midday Break
- 1300-1700 Free Time and Ad Hoc Shooting (Old buildings, churches, cemetaries, etc)
- 1900Saturday Night Dinner
Eastville Inn at 7PM
You can view the menu at www.eastvilleinn.com

Moonrise: 6:53
Moonset: 22:11

Sunday, May 16
- 0445-0900 Sunrise and Morning Shoot at Willis Wharf (Scenics, Rustic Harbor, Birds)
Leave fron Food Lion at 0445
We would want to be in place NLT 5:10
Twi: 5:27
Sunrise: 5:56
- 0900-1130 Ad Hoc Shooting and Free Time
- 1130-1500 Midday Break (some will be going home)
- 1500-1700 Return to Eyre Hall for afternoon light
- 1700-1900 Free Time
- 1930 Sunset at the Old Ferry Terminal or Bay Creek Marina
We would want to be in place NLT 19:35
Sunset: 20:05
Twi: 20:34
Twi N: 21:09
Twi A: 21:47

Moonrise: 7:53
Moonset: 23:06

Ad Hoc Shooting Around Cape Charles

We have decided to be a bit less formal with our agenda this year. Last fall we had some windy weather and the birds were not as cooperative as in past shoots so small groups broke off and went to various locations on their own, something I encourage since I do not want anyone to feel forced to go to any particular shooting location.

Some places to explore on your own:
- Kiptopeke State Park walking trails
- Eastern Shore of Virginia NWR walking trails and vistas
- Old buildings, churches, and ruins, especially along Seaside Road (parallels Rt 13 between 13 and the Atlantic)
- Eastville (a few nice old homes and old county government buildings)
- Cherrystone campground for scenics and possibly wading birds
- Bay Creek Marina
- Cape Charles Harbor
- Bay Creek Resort (see me about access and best places)
- Custis Memorial and Ruins
- Willis Wharf
- Onancock Harbor and surrounds (a bit of a drive)
- Bell Haven and Shield's Bridge Road

Weather Might Be A Player

We've had great good luck with the weather over the years. This year might be touch and go if the predictions hold. We usually want to reserve Saturday as our Assateague day but the weather may force us to move that to Sunday. Even so, we'll still have our Saturday night meal as planned.

From TWC:

Thursday
Cloudy with a few showers. High 68F. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.
Friday
Occasional showers possible. Highs in the upper 60s and lows in the mid 60s.
Saturday
Partly cloudy. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the upper 60s.
Sunday
Partly cloudy. Slight chance of showers. High 78F.

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
I look forward to seeing everyone's pictures! I wish I could join you, but I'm busy studying for finals.

Kristin

I think the weather gods will smile upon us again. They wouldn't dare ruin our weekend. :wink:

If we have bad weather we'll all take pictures as proof and then sue the photo gods that guarantee good weather and smooth sailing to photographers.

Where are the pictures?? :redface:

Um, only have had time to process a few so far, and posted them on Facebook (most of the regular Cape Charles Cafe folks communicate among ourselves there these days). Sonya posted a couple of threads in the people section (Mini-me and Cafe Crowd Meets again!) and a couple of my pics and one of Dave Davidson's found their way into those threads.

Here is a public link to my Facebook album, you don't have to be a member to view it (I don't think you can see the tags with the people's names, but you can see the comments).

I also got this adorable pic of Sonya and her girls with my iPhone...

I don't know if Sonya wants to do the same thing, but it would be worth posting just for the comment thread under the one of Mike Parker and his Sigmonster! :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator:
I gave up trying to post on this site. Couldn't get my FaceBook pics to work here so I just leave them on FB. If you can tell me how, I'd be glad to do it.

Norm, at the bottom of a Facebook album or picture there is a link to that page (like what I did in my post above, not as included pics, just as links that non-FB peeps can see). It says, "Share this album (or photo) with anyone by sending them this public link" and then it gives you the link. But it's to the page, not just the image. So you can do what I did...

I can save you the walk, there is nothing worth photographing over there:
picture-6.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Once again, thanks to Mike for putting up with us, it was fun.

In the past we have had specific galleries established here for the purpose of people sharing their images that they've shot on group outings. I would hate to lose an opportunity for many of our members to miss out on seeing some great shots simply because those shots are now only being displayed on FaceBook. Not everyone is into FaceBook. Personally, the last thing I would do is to put images that I value on FB because of the extreme lack of privacy there. And doesn't FB claim ownership of anything you put there? Fine for snapshots with a P&S, but most of us are more serious than that. Anyone who doesn't already have a way of sharing their images on here could certainly easily set up a free Flickr or Photobucket account. That would be my recommendation.

Thank you, Connie...
I am not able to join in these shoots...
but I certainly enjoy the posts: the preparation, waiting
expectantly for the results, and then sharing the fun time
through the great pictures. It is fun to see pictures of forum
participants, and the places I haven't been to, yet...
These all stir up my passion for photography, as well.
Glad everyone had a good time at Mike's...

In the past we have had specific galleries established here for the purpose of people sharing their images that they've shot on group outings. I would hate to lose an opportunity for many of our members to miss out on seeing some great shots simply because those shots are now only being displayed on FaceBook. Not everyone is into FaceBook. Personally, the last thing I would do is to put images that I value on FB because of the extreme lack of privacy there. And doesn't FB claim ownership of anything you put there? Fine for snapshots with a P&S, but most of us are more serious than that. Anyone who doesn't already have a way of sharing their images on here could certainly easily set up a free Flickr or Photobucket account. That would be my recommendation.

Connie, I wasn't saying that we weren't going to post here on the Cafe, it's only been a few days, after all. And the dedicated threads haven't been set up yet. I've only had time to process a few pics, and some of those were of people who I tagged on FB...

As far as the uproar over the ownership of content on FB, that was addressed at the time of the fuss to my satisfaction. Read this article for more.

Thanks, Kristin! That article does clarify things. Yes, it has only been a few days....guess some people are eager to see what you guys shot down there! :smile:

You can see many of them on FB and you don't have to be a member to see them. Do a search on the person's name and you can see any photo albums that they have not made private.

I will try again to post things on NC, following Kirstin's instructions.

You can see many of them on FB and you don't have to be a member to see them. Do a search on the person's name and you can see any photo albums that they have not made private.

I will try again to post things on NC, following Kirstin's instructions.

I just posted instructions on how to post a public link to an album for non-Facebook members, as I did above. I have a Smugmug account, so I usually link to my photos from there (I don't particularly care for how FB compresses my images, so wouldn't show them on the Cafe that way otherwise).

Norm, all you have to do to link to a picture from FB is this (for Windoze)... right click on the image and select "copy image location". Then go up to the "insert image" icon above and paste (control V).

Voila, here's my iPhone pic of the day of Sonya and the girls enjoying Eyre Hall on Saturday from my Facebook page:

28979_1431950047996_1510257192_31099550_710599_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom