Eastern Veil

This is the Eastern Veil nebula that I captured September 7.

Like the Witch’s Broom (Western Veil) this is a cloud of heated and ionized gas and dust in the constellation of Cygnus and is located at around 1470 light-years from Earth. The light that I captured left the nebula during the 7th century AD…. So almost last week!

It is part of the Cygnus Loop which is a faint supernova remnant that exploded approximately 7000 years ago. From the moment the star exploded and until now, the Cygnus Loop supernova remnant expanded to a diameter of roughly 3° on the sky (that almost 6 full moons).

For this I changed my exposure length to 4 minutes (from 7) and this is a stack of 15 x 240 second images.

NGC6995_2021-09-07-small.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
This is the Eastern Veil nebula that I captured September 7.

Like the Witch’s Broom (Western Veil) this is a cloud of heated and ionized gas and dust in the constellation of Cygnus and is located at around 1470 light-years from Earth. The light that I captured left the nebula during the 7th century AD…. So almost last week!

It is part of the Cygnus Loop which is a faint supernova remnant that exploded approximately 7000 years ago. From the moment the star exploded and until now, the Cygnus Loop supernova remnant expanded to a diameter of roughly 3° on the sky (that almost 6 full moons).

For this I changed my exposure length to 4 minutes (from 7) and this is a stack of 15 x 240 second images.

View attachment 1688882
Kevin,
you're tearing me more and more to astrophotography... :) :D

Wonderful picture
Klaus

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Truly amazing! And so beautiful! I like the way you captured the colors, gases and details! So hard to fathom the universe!

Real Name
Andy
Another fine photograph. It sounds like you are shooting in color rather than capturing individual channels via filters on a monochromatic camera. Right?

Kevin,
you're tearing me more and more to astrophotography... :) :D

Wonderful picture
Klaus

Thanks Klaus - it is very addictive ... especially when things go right!

Truly amazing! And so beautiful! I like the way you captured the colors, gases and details! So hard to fathom the universe!

Thanks Karen!

Awesome post and capture.

Thanks Wade!

This is spectacular. Beautifully captured. Post processing is right on the money,
This needs to be printed and hung
Thanks for sharing and inspiring.
gary

Thanks Gary.. I am starting to think about printing some of these.

Another fine photograph. It sounds like you are shooting in color rather than capturing individual channels via filters on a monochromatic camera. Right?

Thanks Andy! Yes, I have a cooled color CMOS camera rather than a mono camera and filters. Why? Color cameras - especially CMOS ones - have made huge leaps in image quality over the past few years. A company out of China - ZWO - are leading that charge. If I were to shoot with filters, I would need 4x the length of time to gather the photons (R,G,B,L) Given the little clear skies we get around here - I am not sure that extra time is worth it.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom