Easy lens "focal length usage" analyser

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MontyDog, Aug 16, 2005.

1. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

2. Paul,

Interesting program. I am going to give it a try. Thanks for the link.

Ray

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    there is a free program called Exifstat that does a good job of producing graphs by focal length and or aperture usage

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    That would be even better. Any idea where to get it? I searched Google and all I found was a partial Perl script.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

6. saturnine

saturnine Guest

Thanks for the downloads; will definitely try them out!

7. JordanLFW

JordanLFW Guest

Wow...really makes me think about what prime to buy next!

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi paul-

thanks for the link to exifstat. i'm not a fan of command line programs (ah, the good old days of MS-DOS 3), but i'll give it a try this weekend.

ricky

9. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

11. [​IMG]

I'm pleased that I'm not stuck at one end of the zoom range. 55% of my shots were between the limits. I'm also surprised at how much use I made of the wide end of the range... that's completely unexpected. All in all, I think I made the right decision with the 28-70 for event photography, and it's more than paid for itself in a short period of time.

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

13. Damn you, Paul!! After posting this message, I now have come to the conclusion that I need a honking big 500mm 'cause almost all my outdoor shots are at the 280 mark!! *LOL*

Seriously, thanks for this, it certainly shows me how I'm shooting. I'm using the 17mm of my 17-55 quite a bit and also the 280 range of my 70-200VR w/1.4 TC, and my usage is fairly spread out in between. Nice to know I'm getting my money's worth out of my lenses

This is very helpful indeed. Cheers, Sandi

14. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Anyone know if there is a Mac version of that software?

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

16. Me!!!???? Techy-techno-geek, nawwwww, I just like gadgets! *LOL* I also can organize hundreds of thousands of pics so I can find one in seconds but can't figure out how to keep the top of my desk cleared!! I'm an oxy-moron unto myself, and no wisecracks please....

Yes, MS is my bitter enemy when PC is acting up, but sure do love the diversity of programs... The idea of two computers for those who need Macs makes perfect sense.

17. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005