Easy set-up

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by sbutchin, Nov 2, 2005.

1. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Hi, I have never done any type of studio work and am looking for the cheapest, EASIEST way to go so I can get started with some head shots of kids - thanks for all your help as usual - and yes, I will need step by step help, baby steps please!!:wink:

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Probably the cheapest...

and easiest way would be to get three bare-bulb reflectors at your local hardware store and clamp them up in some sort of working space with a wall for a background. Use one high near the camera, one 45 degrees off camera and one behind the subject pointed either at the wall or up at the back of the head.

With the continuous light output you'd be able to see exactly what sort of lighting you would be getting and would be able to adjust your reflectors accordingly.

4. I have done very simple things and achieved decent results. I have used regular household lamps (as many as I could get my hands on) with tin foil as reflectors. Thats right just take sheets of tinfoil and wrap around lightbulbs in an wide cone shape. The use black or white sheets draped over chairs or step stools and shoot away. You can black out backgrounds by remembering that your camera has limited dynamic range. If you subject is well lit and the background dark enough it will go all the way black if you meter (spot works good for this) on your subject. The opposite is true with a white background, although for me has been a bit harder to achieve. Here are some examples. They have been posted before so sorry to those that this is a repeat.

EDIT: I should note that no flash was used with these photos.

39892282-L.

[​IMG]
    I did not quite blow the white all the way out on this one as I liked what the folds in the sheet added to the picture. Also when the white is blown all the way out it can make halos on your subject.
    39978007-L.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2005