Eat only once ...

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Harry S., Aug 5, 2008.

1. ... and you are done.

During my mushroom excursion last thursday I found this deadly poisonous guy.

Cortinarius orellanus, one of our 6 or 7 deadly mushrooms.

original.jpg

Next to it another relative
    Cortinarius cf. purpurascens (not poisonous)

original.jpg

Altogether we collected 10 edible species - here's an overview of our "harvest" (hurriedly shot with the 24-70 at ISO 1600 before my wife worked them up) ...

original.jpg

... but my favorites were these baby "red caps", Leccinum albostipitatum

original.jpg

Among the non palatable ones were a few photogenic ones

EDIT: the name is Gymnopus confluens.

original.jpg

a coral (Cladocera viscosa)

original.jpg

original.jpg

If not mentioned otherwise, all were shot with D3 and AFS 60/2.8 Micro. For some the R1 macro flash was used.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2008
  2. Beautifull mushrooms!!! The two last shots remind me of coral!

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    Nice shots, looks like you got a good harvest as well.

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I like the shot of the Cortinarius orellanus. Just don't want to taste it. The rest looks delicious especially those Cantharéllus on the plate to the right.

5. Thanks all!

The dinner was indeed delicious.

As a result of this excursion, I decided to add another camera to my equipment, either a D60 or D80, because carrying the D3 plus several heavy lenses in steep terrain is not funny at all. I also have to make better decisions as to what lenses I will carry with me :smile:. My backpack weighed 10 kg and for some shots I even went back to my car and got out my 5kg tripod :actions1:.

Cheers

6. Spectre

Spectre

Feb 20, 2008
    Oregon
    Harry,
    They look wonderful. We have quite a few edibles around here but some deadly ones as well... not to mention psychotropic. We have truffles as well......yum.

7. Thanks Paul!

There are many more edible species than poisonous ones, the problem is just to know them :smile:

We also have those psychotropic ones (containing a substance called Psilocybin).

BTW - sorry about the theft of your equipment. I went through that situation 4 years ago - not a very pleasant experience.

Cheers

8. wow.....
    a bit scary
    nice shots
    but... i'm glad you are so aware of which ones are edible and which aren't
    excellent thread

9. Ye Gods.:eek::eek:

By the look of your new avatar you have eaten a nasty one.:biggrin::biggrin:

Is it your death mask or just old age?:tongue::tongue:

BW. Bob F.

10. Bob, I like to do some experiments every now and then :biggrin:, but the haggard look comes from sorely missing your loving comments.

Cheers