1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ebay auctions, used bodies and shutter counts...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fiveoboy01, Jul 30, 2009.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01

Jan 30, 2009
    Madison, WI
    For the life of me, I can't seem to get a buyer to give me a shutter count on a used body.

If it's not listed in the auction(and it should be), I always ask.

Answers range from "I don't know how to get the shutter count" to "It has very few actuations"... Huh?

Seriously, you're selling a D300 body and it's a backup for your mega-dollar pro equipment(D700/D3 etc) and you "can't figure out" how to get me a shutter count? Sheesh.

No shutter count, no bid:smile:

[/rant]

2. You know, otherwise it will be difficult to support the fiction of "backup copy, seldom used, as good as new..."

3. Ebay has improved the rules but it is still a place where you are basically playing Russian roulette.
    By now many people know what to do to get an actual shutter count on their cameras. Still, others do not know but they usually ask what to do to get the shutter actuations.
    I used to buy gear from Ebay but stopped the practice many years ago. I try now photography forums where I can deal in a more personal way with the seller, who is interested in keeping his reputation with the group. Sure, there could be some problems but in general transactions go smoothly.

William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

4. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    I've been buying and selling on Ebay several years now, and I haven't had too much to complain about. I won't buy digital gear on Ebay, I prefer to buy such things in person and hands-on. But for everything else Ebay has been a wonderful resource.

5. boyscout

boyscout

Mar 19, 2009
    Toronto
    I, too, have had pretty good success with eBay, though I haven't done many photo-related transactions through it.

However in the past year I've used craigslist instead to sell photo equipment (and guitars and a coffee grinder!) and have been ecstatic with the results. In my area (Toronto), each of my carefully-written craigslist ads with pictures selling fairly-priced objects has produced a half-dozen or more interested responses within hours and a sale within a day or less.

Each sale concluded as a face-to-face transaction, curtailing scam fears on both sides, and most also resulted in a pleasant meeting with someone interesting.

There are signs that craigslist is readying itself to charge for its services, but I'll likely continue using it over eBay if the price is reasonable.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.