eBay can be amazing

Real Name
Don Roy
I had a 50mm AF-S 1.8G to sell. I put it on eBay this morning as 'buy it now' for above the average recent 'closed sales' price. It sold in 2 minutes! I had the bucks in PayPal in 5 mins! I was kicking myself for not asking more, but, I'm good. The buyer is from a small town 100 miles north of me. Done. Package is at the PO now.

Be advised that there could be substantial delivery delays. I sold an item early in the month. The tracking showed it arrived at a P.O. in the buyer's state in a few days but it still has not been delivered to him. Conversely, I sold another item later in the month and it made its way cross country to the buyer in about a week. Both were shipped Priority Mail and normally would be 2-3 day deliveries. You may be okay as it's a relatively small package, as was my second sale.

How much are all the fees you need to pay? You get charged to list the item, you get charged to sell the item, you get charged to get paid for the item....

Real Name
Don Roy
How much are all the fees you need to pay? You get charged to list the item, you get charged to sell the item, you get charged to get paid for the item....
Yeah, there are fees, but they are predictable, and I just mentally factor all that in before I post and decide if I'm ok with the net I get. In this case, less than an hour after thinking 'I should put this lens on eBay' I was driving to the PO with money in my PayPal pocket, actually more money than expected. I recognize that eBay is not for everyone, but it is there and does work.

I haven’t been overly pleased with eBay. When I sold my 70-200 2.8, it sold quickly on eBay. I shipped the lens the same day. When the buyer received the lens, he claimed that the lens was defective (which it wasn’t). He clearly just changed his mind about the purchase. I had to pay return shipping and was then left with trying to get all the fees back. I later sold it locally.

Another time I made an eBay purchase and when the package came the item wasn’t inside the package. But, since the seller had “proof” of delivery, I was out of luck.

Glenn

Last edited:
Real Name
Ken
I ordered an item several days ago...it left Southern California, and is now in Philadelphia, PA. Hmmmmm
I believe that is the new route for packages that need to travel from CA up the coast. I had ordered some photos from Bay Photo and they found there way to the Midwest before heading to WA. Perhaps that old saying really is true - "You can't get there from here."

--Ken

I haven’t been overly pleased with eBay. When I sold my 70-200 2.8, it sold quickly on eBay. I shipped the lens the same day. When the buyer received the lens, he claimed that the lens was defective (which it wasn’t). He clearly just changed his mind about the purchase. I had to pay return shipping and was then left with trying to get all the fees back. I later sold it locally.

Another time I made an eBay purchase and when the package came the item wasn’t inside the package. But, since the seller had “proof” of delivery, I was out of luck.

Glenn
I've had friends who have sold their lens on eBay, the buyer claimed it was damaged in transit (unlikely), the buyer got their money back, the seller lost their money, and now had a busted lens that left their house in pristine condition. This has occurred at least 3 different times that I can recall.

I last used eBay in 1999...I refuse to use it or deal with their shady and buyer siding practices.

Real Name
Don Roy
I haven’t been overly pleased with eBay.
Actually Glenn, though I was really happy with this sale, eBay has been a mixed bag for me too, usually a headache, but mostly positive. I guess I just wanted to post an upbeat eBay story to mentally cancel long past eBay disasters 3-4 years ago. I went with Nikon for the first time in May 2019, and sold all my old Canon gear on eBay. I was surprised that it all went cleanly, maybe 10 sales with no problems. This one was just one surprising "What? I posted it two minutes ago and it's sold, and I already got paid! What?"

I loved eBay in it's early years. Unfortunately now there are too many people who have figured out how to work the system. I still use it to buy things from stores which use it as their on-line platform.

Glenn
That's why I don't sell on eBay any more. Even if, as a seller, I am 100% in the right, eBay still sides with the buyer and you're hosed. I sold a cell phone and stated specifically it was for xzy network. I stated this in the title, description and details, so it was mentioned 3 times. The buyer claimed the listing said it would work on abc network, so I lied in the listing. I contested the claim, and referred to the listing as proof.

Nope. I still had to refund the idiot's money, and pay to have it shipped back to me.

Never again.

Glenn
I've had that happen along with 2 other friends who did also. None of us sell on ebay anymore.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom