Ebay, my love/hate relationship :)

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by AFS, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Its downright impossible to get a good deal because no one's watching the item you want.....never any really good lulls. I've got to get a 17-35 or 28-70 for a low price, and the ebay prices are good sometimes, but other times they drive way up, and I don't have everything I'll have to commit to this together yet.....
    I've got to hang on...but its gonna take a bit of work to get the lenses I want for a decent price, unless Bjorn and Uncle Frank feel like sending me a 17-35 and 28-70 for free :)
    wishful thinking.... Every hobby of mine gets more and more expensive...and more and more lasting. This one's now an obsession... an ingrained part of my soul! I shouldn't feel comfort just holding my 70-200 VR!

EDIT August 1, 2005 1AM.....Thanks to my dear father, my dream of a 17-35mm f/2.8D has been realized, for $800 (a steal, considering the normal price), via buy it now :) Seller is in the same city as me so i'm going to see if I can arrange pick up.
    So, I guess it is a love-hate relationship...only hours before I went from winning one at $760 with 2 minutes remaining, to being left in the dust as the bidding rose to end at $912, I'd say at least 4 bids within the last 100 seconds.

2. Harrison,
    I'm not really sure what you mean. Ebay can be a great place to pick up some interesting items. You must be patient and know exactly what you are looking for. Do your due dilligence with the sellers and ask many questions about the items. Don't deal with anyone who has less than stellar feedback on multiple items.

I've purchased cars, lenses, etc... on ebay. Set a price in your mind and don't get caught up in bidding. If you don't win an item, just be patient and wait for someone else to auction it in the future.

3. Harrison, if you can look for auctions that close at strange times, like 11PM on a Wednesday night, or 5AM in the morning. Remember that often there is a lot of bidding activity in the last few minutes, and if you find auctions that end at off-times you will have less competition. It sure works for me. By the way, this is why my auctions always end early-mid evening PST :wink:

Persevere, but I doubt that you are going to find either of those lense "on the cheap". I just looked at the last bunch that sold on eBay, and if you are the fellow who was bidding, and stopped at 625, I doubt you are going to find one that inexpensive. But look at the bidding the last 2 minutes, that is where the action was, and that is a very good price.

KEH has one on the used list at $919, you might want to give them a call.

If that is out of your range, take a look at the offerings in that range from Tokina. I had one of the 28-70 Pro ATX lenses and it was a great piece of glass, at a far lower price. Wasn't AFS but it was f2.8.

4. faenix

faenix

Jun 21, 2005
    Bayside, NY
    You can also use an auction sniper and snipe your auctions. Check out www.justsnipe.com if you're interested.

5. Re: I hate ebay.......

Harrison, your impatience is reducing the probability that you'll find a good deal. You want those lenses, but there's no reason you have to have them right now. So cast your net, and wait for the right moment. It may take a few weeks, or even a few months, but anticipation is a large part of the fun ;).

6. Re: I hate ebay.......

Easy to say when it isn't YOU who is doing the looking :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Re: I hate ebay.......

Hehehe... very true. However, I did search for a few months before I found a deal on The Beast. But at my age, patience comes easier than it does at Harrison's.

8. MikeG

MikeG

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Harrison,

Bidding live on eBay is like being the "quickest finger" on Who want's to be a millionaire.

Grab a sniping service, figure out how much you're willing to spend and sleep peacefully.

My sniper puts my bid in at 2 seconds prior to the auction closing time. I'd bet most people couldn't match that, given connection speed etc.

If you don't win, shake it off and try again. Believe me when I tell you, whatever you're bidding on will come back again.

Like UF, I'm older and more patient these days. Reminds me of a story...

An old bull and a young bull are standing at the top of a hill looking down on a field of cows.

The young bull snorts and says to the old bull, "Hey old man, I'm gonna run down this hill and have me one of those cows, what do you think of that?"

The old bull grunts, paws the ground, snorts and looks at the young guy.

He says "Well, Boy I think that I'm gonna walk down this hill and have me all of them cows."

HTH :roll:

9. I prefer to buy new or buy used from this forum or from another smaller forum like Texas Photo Forum. And you get a much more laid back transaction. I bought Gale's 70-300 and have bought my 105 Micro from Jim at Texas Photo Forum. I know sometimes you can get good deals on E-Bay but, for the amount of work and trying to outbid and all. The couple bucks that you save... reallly is it worth it? Yes - some of you will say- No problem just not for me.

Just for example, my 70-300. If I have a question - I just pm Gale. Hey Gale- what is up with...? (JUST AN EXAMPLE-NO PROBLEMS WITH MY 70-300) E-Bay good luck. Sometimes you get a deal sometimes you get well you know - Cow Patties.

10. Another photo sales site

photo.net is a very interesting site and they have a classified sections. You wan't see eBay even mentioned in their ads.
    http://www.photo.net

Good luck

11. Well, for me a good price is somewhere between 750 and 925.....but for the moment i'm holding back below 800.
    Suspense kills me.....waiting for the D200 is horrible. So I figured maybe a good dose of super lens lust satisfaction would do the trick, and I've already decided to upgrade to better glass. I'm like a junkie now.....can't stop!
    I thought I could try going all artistic by living with a wide AF 2.8 and a normal 2.8 MF prime , but I couldn't do it, I guess. I'm a zoom kind of guy. I've decided to hold off on the 45mm f/2.8P and to bid farewell to my 24 2.8, and i'm going to do a sort of stalinist purge of the contents of the house (read ebay and garage sale), as well as get around to selling some stuff my mother wants to get rid of, and doing those darn rebates.......
    One fierce battle at a time, I suppose.

12. Well, maybe patience comes with age, but I have had quite a bit of success on Ebay (buying flyrods) by just deciding the most I want to pay, putting in my bid within the last 10 minutes, or just before going to bed, and sleeping peacefully.

If I get it, fine. If not, then someone was willing to pay more than I am. Their loss, my gain.

Maybe next time.

13. Ebay is no longer a method of selling on used goods. It mostly a front for shops that don't offer much of a discount.

What amazes me is that people are prepared to pay MORE than the retail price for something. I've been watching Nikkor 50 f1.8 lenses for a few weeks and I've seen used ones go for more than I could buy a new one for. I'll probably end up buying a new one - once my D70 returns from the repair shop.

Having said that I did pick up a bargain of a flute for my daughter the other week - the bargains are out there, they just take a while to show themselves.

14. mfrank123

mfrank123 Guest

so true simon

and patience young one....

15. The funniest bit of feedback I have ever seen was a Negative a fellow had who I was planning to buy something from. As a rule I always check Feedback, paying special attention to the Negatives. To Paraphrase:

"You charge me more than RETAIL, you cheat!"

The reply, again paraphrased:

"Well, you were dumb enough to BID more than retail!"

Needless to say, I did not consider that Negative to be a negative at all, just an indication of a stuipd buyer....

16. Oh do I ever love buy it now.....
    Just got me a nice condition 17-35 for 800 bucks, its right in my city so I may be able to arrange pickup, and the only flaw is a small scratch near the edge of the glass....I can live with that even if it does somehow show up despite the digital mumbo jumbo... the return to AFS is beginning on my wide end.
    A special thank you to my father, who will be assisting my financial needs for this.

17. Yowser :!: :!: Yippee :!: :!: Yahoo (generic YAHOO that is) :!: :!:

See, patience, good thoughs and a 'Grand Old Man' always pay off :wink: Just remember your Dad, Dad's are about the greatest folk's around, next to Mom's of course :lol: :lol:

Congrats, but now I think you should change the title of this thread.....

18. what do you think I should name it? I've got to name it, i've named my VR the King, and when I get a 28-70 it'll be a beast as well, so I need a good name to go along with it...if I can't come up with an imposing name....i'll have to go for something like lumiere (the candlestick from B& the B, since it is a 2.8 lens )