eBay now requires the last 4 digits of our SSN + our Banking Info

I received notice from eBay that it needed additional information for me to retain my seller account. Based upon this thread, I was expected to learn that eBay wanted my full social security number and that the number would be used for, among other things, IRS reporting purposes. If that was the case, I planned to drop my eBay account. But, that wasn't the case. I was asked to provide the last 4 digits of my SSN...which isn't sufficient for eBay to report anything to the IRS.

Glenn

Last edited:
I received notice from eBay that it needed additional information for me to retain my seller account. Based upon this thread, I was expected to learn that eBay wanted my full social security number and that the number would be used for, among other things, IRS reporting purposes. If that was the case, I planned to drop my eBay account. But, that wasn't the case. I was asked to provide the last 4 digits of my SSN...which isn't sufficient for eBay to report anything to the IRS.

Glenn

Unless they already have your full SSN, however they got it, and they are just confirming.

Glenn

This has changed then --- In early Feb I started the process and was asked for the full SSN. When I tried it just now it is just as you say....they want the last 4 digits. They must of had a bevy of complaints.

Now what good do the last 4 SSN digits do them? It provides no useful info unless they already have your SSN and want to verify it with the last 4 digits. eBay owned paypal at one point so I have my suspicions...

Unless they already have your full SSN, however they got it, and they are just confirming.

Yeppers, I'm not sure I'm going to bite on this bait....

EDIT: They Now want our Birth date....this was not requested before (IIRC). Providing that and the last 4 SSN digits will likely still result in a 1099 being filed with the IRS at years end, so no, I'm not taking this bait...
(But it does provide a measure of security regarding identity theft).

EDIT 2: I am 100% positive they originally asked for the full SSN because I started a chat session with them complaining about providing my SSN was told "I understand". Kudos to eBay for the added security but I still have no clue as to what they will report to the IRS at years end via a 1099 and what taxes we may be subjected to - or what proof we will need to provide that no profit was made.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 8.04.08 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
I was especially humored by the response indicating that when you sign up a new doctor, you have to provide your Social Security number. Simply not true. Not only do I not provide my SSN to new doctors, years ago I made sure as much as is reasonably possible that the doctors that used to have my SSN in their records had removed it.

It is sad that so many doctors still ask for the Social Security number. When it happens to me, I tell their administrative people that they're being unethical by even asking for it.

I refuse to provide SSN to docs also, and never had much trouble about it. Do you really insult the administrative folks who are just doing what they are told to keep their crappy, low-paying jobs?

It is sad that so many doctors still ask for the Social Security number. When it happens to me, I tell their administrative people that they're being unethical by even asking for it.
Do you really insult the administrative folks who are just doing what they are told to keep their crappy, low-paying jobs?

No, I don't insult them. Instead, I politely voice my objection, explain why I object, and ask that they tell management about it.

Did you really have no way to politely ask me about it?

No, I don't insult them. Instead, I politely voice my objection, explain why I object, and ask that they tell management about it.

Did you really have no way to politely ask me about it?

Sorry; I replied in kind to what you initially wrote, and I think it was more straightforward than impolite. Your second telling of the story would've yielded a different tone from me, honestly, in the form of no reply at all.

eBay now only requires the last 4 digits of our SSN's and a birthdate. That info along with our name is evidently sufficient enough to allow eBay to submit a 1099K form to the IRS (eBay also wants our banking info to pay us).
So what's with the 1099K?
If you’re a managed payments seller, you may receive a Form 1099-K from eBay, depending on the totals of your sales and transactions. This is to help you comply with your tax obligations.
Form 1099-K is an IRS information return that includes the gross amount of all payment transactions you received within a calendar year. The purpose of the form is to help improve voluntary tax compliance. We'll provide you with Form 1099-K by January 31st each year if you're a managed payments seller who has received payments above the minimum IRS reporting thresholds in the previous calendar year:
  • You received more than $20,000 in gross payments, and
  • You had more than 200 payment transactions
Some states have minimum reporting thresholds lower than those outlined above. We'll provide managed payments sellers in the following states with Form 1099-K by January 31st each year if you have received payments above the following thresholds in the previous calendar year:

Here is the link containing this and more info.

IMO, this is much more palatable now that the entire SSN is no longer required (plus the fact that I would never exceed $20,000 in sales or 200+ transactions in a year). But I can see where stringent booking would be required if those limits were exceeded....

Last edited:
I don't know the answer to that but I think with the last 4 digits, your birthdate, and your name, the IRS will know who you are....
Even if they do, it doesn’t mean the proceeds are taxable. PayPal sent me a form documenting all of my proceeds for the year. This was intended to help me identify sales that I should be considering as revenue when computing profit on sales. Most of the proceeds were simply deposits from stock agencies (and those agencies already send me a 1099), so those PayPal deposits are not taxable.

Glenn

Even if they do, it doesn’t mean the proceeds are taxable. PayPal sent me a form documenting all of my proceeds for the year. This was intended to help me identify sales that I should be considering as revenue when computing profit on sales. Most of the proceeds were simply deposits from stock agencies (and those agencies already send me a 1099), so those PayPal deposits are not taxable.

Glenn
I agree but it does mean one should keep better records - especially if you exceed the limits given in the eBay1099k policy I referenced in post #50.

Latest threads

Top Bottom