Eclectic Mix of Birds

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    From last weekend, a very exclectic mixture of bird shots. Started out a horrible day/morning, and by late afternoon the sun came out for just a bit before turning bad again. All with the 200-400VR and 1.7 attached, handheld, and nearly all at 650mm f7.1

First my buddies Bonnie and Clyde, a river trip wouldn't be the same without them:

[​IMG]

An America Kestral Hawk, from a long long way off, a huge nearly 100% type crop so a bit blurred:

[​IMG]

Then some swans playing king of the hill:

[​IMG]

and then they had to have a conference about the whole thing:

[​IMG]

Snuck up on some wild mallards and had to shoot from a long way off (as soon as I stopped kneeling and stood up after this photo they took off)

[​IMG]

and this guy was watching all the clouds roll by:

[​IMG]

thanks for looking and commenting

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2005
  2. Pretty impressive that these are all handheld. When you are walking about how do you carry the camera with this monster combo?

3. Nice shots Wade, how does the 200-400 work with your D70?

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Wade. My only nit is the slope of the water in the Mallard shot (I have the same problem, so I feel qualified to comment :tongue:).

I'm very impressed by the quality of these shots with the 1.7 TC. I've not been totally sold with this TC with the 300 2.8. I really would like to have this lens, but like many others, have been torn by the lure of the 500. You, and others like PJohnP, make a strong case for the 200-400VR.

Thanks,

5. I like the ducks in the green muck shot.. :^)

Geez Brett why not just rent the 200-400VR.. :^)

6. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I generally use the kirk strap/plate unit slung over my head and under one arm as i walk through the brush, or along the roads. Sometimes I also just carry the combo in the left hand via the kirk foot I switched out on the 200-400VR. Makes for great upside down carrying, and also as a safety feature I have a wrist strap on the camera that is also on the wrist too, so if I let go of the lens by the foot, the wrist strap will catch before it hits the ground.

Can't be to careful. With the monopod or tripod I just lock down the acratech heads and away I go with a strap also on my wrist from the monopod or tripod.

I find, however, that for the duck sneaking, I do best without the monopod attached, because the ability to peak and lean over and around the brush is easier without anything attached.

Cheers,

Wade

7. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Very good, and I don't miss to many focus shots even with the 1.7 I am now using this year. Seems about the same as the 1.4 Image clarity is still very very good, maybe a slight slight difference, but I am still happy with it esp at 650mm or as a 340mm-650mm zoom! I am using my 200VR either by itself or as a 280mm 2.8 with the 1.4. I am in heaven.

Granted my home has a lot less spare cameras, toy trains, and pocket knives, and anything else i have been selling like crazy to pay for all of this, and I had to beg to use the last few tax refunds, but they are great purchases, And on the 200-400VR I have as of this date recouped 25% of the cost from my Eagle prints from selling to the general public. So only 4 more years to go! lol

Cheers,

Wade

8. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank, How could I have missed that! I was so worried about everything else and didn't even notice my "artistic" (ha!) cant
    :eek:

i will just blame it on the weight of the lens as I was holding it way out there from around the brush. (some of my other duck shots don't exhibit this "artistic" touch) (yes it is getting a bit deep around here) thanks for the catch! It has been corrected.

Frank, after having the 200-400, if I didn't need the 200 VR for indoor dance recital work, I would have the 200-400VR without converter, and the 500mm with the 1.4 and 1.7 That is how important reach has become on the river. I can't fathom a 700 5.6 or even a 850mm in that package size. I think 300 2.8 and 500 plus converters makes a nice sweet set! But that VR on those windy days, and when handheld is very very nice.

Wade

9. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Here in Missouri We call this Duck Weed. Gets on everything if you ever wade through it.