Ed R. Levin - herons

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Ibn, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Hunting for kites again yesterday, but only found one around (there are usually 3). Also found the remains of two birds. One of them was just a pile of white feathers (hopefully it isn't one of the white tail kites, even though they're the only birds in the area with that many white feathers) and the other was that of a turkey.

After giving up on the WTK, headed back down to the pond, since that was the direction that a greater blue heron had flown in earlier. Didn't find it and went back on the trail bordering the pond and ran upon a great egret.

DSC_3820.

DSC_3799.

Slowly sneaked up to the egret and then suddenly heard an agitated sound up in the trees. Well what would you know, but it was the great blue that I had seen earlier.

DSC_3626.

DSC_3646.

That was about as close as I had ever been to a greater blue since they're usually quite skittish. This one didn't mind me at all and just got back to pruning.

DSC_3654.

DSC_3661.

DSC_3678.

DSC_3691.

DSC_3713.

DSC_3716.

Since the sun was about to set, it looks like both of these herons were gonna be roosting there for the night. The greater blue finally got tired of pruning and looks like it started to settle in for the night.

DSC_3803.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Eric. I like them all, but the GBH is one of my favorite birds, so I like the shots of him best. I got a few GBH shots this weekend myself, but it was so overcast and hazy that I didn't have any decent enough to post.

Good captures. :wink:

3. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Frank. I figured that you might like these, considering your old avatar. :)

4. Eric, the light in the GBH shots is absolutely beautiful! Especially in the 1st one. Looks like a staged studio shot! Well done!! :)

5. Eric, these are great captures! Is that a sleeper lid on the eye of the GBH in the last shot? Funny how the birds here in Toronto, including the GBH, are fishing right up until the sun drops off the horizon - guess these had their fill! Very nice shots.

6. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Kevin. Couldn't have asked for better lighting considering how things were panning out.

7. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, Sandi. Yup, that's the lid on the eye that you're seeing in that last shot. He flashed it every once in awhile as if he's drifting off into a slight slumber. Interesting to note how that the lid comes from the bottom up instead of top to bottom like ours. This one wasn't interested in feeding at all. Guess he had his fill in the fields earlier, hunting for rodents.

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Just FYI, it is called a 'nictating membrane', and it protects the animal's eyes when attacking prey or other risky activities. They also tend to close them when dozing off. 8)

9. Gordon Large

Gordon Large Guest

Hi Eric -

Great shots and even better as a sequence! I'm with Frank - I'll take a GBH every time. The way you found these birds reminds me of one of life's basic principles - It's better to be lucky than smart. But then you still have to have the skills to take advantage of luck - and you do! :)

Gordon

10. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    LOL. Thanks, Gordon. Love that little tidbit on luck versus brains. :) I general just follow the direction of where the birds are heading and just head that way until I bump into something. :oops:

Thanks for the info on the membrane, Frank. Last time that I read anything up on it was from reading about some Bald Eagles.