Edge to edge sharpness ...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wings, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ... at 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm (at any aperture). Which lenses stand out?

I realize KR has done this comparison with several lenses, but he has different priorities than I do when it comes to equipment.

My own experiences do not necessarily match up with the data found on photozone and slrgear. The data is still useful, but I don't consider it gospel.

So ... I'd like to hear the opinions of the fine folks here, if you don't mind. :smile:

2. zooms or primes?
    if primes, its simple 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2 50 f/1.8
    if zooms id say 35-70 2.8 is very sharp at 35 and 50
    24-70 2.8 is also amazing thru the whole range

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The newest zooms (14-24, 24-70) are sharper than the old primes now in almost every respect, especially wide open. The 14-24 and 24-70 are probably the sharpest lenses around at the moment.

In terms of primes, the ageing Nikon range is now bettered by Sigma, e.g. the Sigma 30mm and 50mm are quite a bit sharper than the Nikon primes.

4. I purposefully did not specify as I wanted to see what people said. Thank you for your response.

5. The impression I got from both other peoples' opinions and charts is that the Sigma primes are sharper in the centre, but the old Nikkors still outdo them in terms of edge-to-edge sharpness.

6. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    certainly the case with the 30/1.4 vs 35/2
    don't know about the new 50 1.4