Edge to edge sharpness ...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by wings, Sep 21, 2008.

1. ... at 24mm, 35mm, and 50mm (at any aperture). Which lenses stand out?

I realize KR has done this comparison with several lenses, but he has different priorities than I do when it comes to equipment.

My own experiences do not necessarily match up with the data found on photozone and slrgear. The data is still useful, but I don't consider it gospel.

So ... I'd like to hear the opinions of the fine folks here, if you don't mind. :smile:

2. zooms or primes?
    if primes, its simple 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2 50 f/1.8
    if zooms id say 35-70 2.8 is very sharp at 35 and 50
    24-70 2.8 is also amazing thru the whole range

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The newest zooms (14-24, 24-70) are sharper than the old primes now in almost every respect, especially wide open. The 14-24 and 24-70 are probably the sharpest lenses around at the moment.

In terms of primes, the ageing Nikon range is now bettered by Sigma, e.g. the Sigma 30mm and 50mm are quite a bit sharper than the Nikon primes.

4. I purposefully did not specify as I wanted to see what people said. Thank you for your response.

5. The impression I got from both other peoples' opinions and charts is that the Sigma primes are sharper in the centre, but the old Nikkors still outdo them in terms of edge-to-edge sharpness.

6. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    certainly the case with the 30/1.4 vs 35/2
    don't know about the new 50 1.4

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.