Edinburg/Dundee Scotland?

V

vacontractor

My wife just found out that she is invited to speak at a nursing conference in Dundee from May 1 - May 4. I see that I can travel on air miles to Edinburg. It doesn't look like a long drive to Dundee.

Can anybody give me any pointers (esp. photo ops) in that area? I know nothing. We'll probably have about 4 days to travel about.

Thanks !!!!!

It's Edinburgh. :)

Plenty of photo opportunities in my home town and on the way to or from Dundee. There's the Forth Bridge, Edinburgh Castle, The Royal Mile and far too many others to mention. Stirling castle is not too far away as has already been mentioned. Loch Lomond is a little further away but still within a day trip from Edinburgh.

Your drive time from Edinburgh Airport (or from the city itself) to Dundee would be about just over an hour. If you have any specific queries about the area just give me a shout.

Ronnie

Oh my, where do I start? We returned last September from our 4th trip to Scotland. My wife and I find the highlands the most beautiful place on earth. If you stay in Edinburgh I can point you to a terrific B&B which is on a bus line to downtown Edinburgh and has plenty of car parking around for your rental. PM for details.

Near to Dundee is Glamis Castle, the childhood home of Queen Elizabeth. If you're a history buff nearby is Loch Leven, the island castle where Mary Queen of Scots was held captive and forced to abdicate. Near Edinburgh are four famous Abbeys: Jedburgh, DruBurgh, Kelso and Melrose, the most beautiful. Between Edinburgh and Glasgow is an ancient Roman wall which crosses the island and built by Antoninus Pius after Hadrian built his wall. Even if you're not a golfer you should visit St. Andrews. On a sunny day the town is gorgeous; don't miss the abby ruins. Stirling Castle is a must and take the tour. It;s bit of a drive but you might try to get to Caerlaverock Castle; a triangular shaped castle in a moat. Traquair house is also a fascinating place to visit. Take the tour in the house.

If you've read the Davinci Code you might enjoy Rosslyn Chapel which is near by. It is a bit disappointing on the outside because there is a huge tin roofed structure over it while they try and save the roof. Inside is is quite unlike any typical Catholic/Christian church because of an incredible amount of stone carving. Well worth visiting.

Anyway, pm me if you need any other suggestions. You might buy a copy of Scotland a Dorling Kinderrsley Travel Guide. It includes photos and drawings of just about every sight. I was surprised when we got there because it looked like every other person was carrying the book.

Rich

J

JohnMueller

If you can afford the gas, then I'd say start driving North. North and West. In particular, try to head to the Eilean Donan castle. It's the second most photographed castle in the world, next to that one in Germany. The highlands of Scotland are breathtaking and if you don't mind driving a bit, you'll get some great shots. Here are a few of mine from my 1200 mile/2 day weekend in Scotland last October:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmueller/sets/72157594322945820/

I'm jealous. I'd love to go back. Dont' eat the haggis.

If you can afford the gas, then I'd say start driving North. North and West. In particular, try to head to the Eilean Donan castle. It's the second most photographed castle in the world, next to that one in Germany. The highlands of Scotland are breathtaking and if you don't mind driving a bit, you'll get some great shots. Here are a few of mine from my 1200 mile/2 day weekend in Scotland last October:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmueller/sets/72157594322945820/

I'm jealous. I'd love to go back. Dont' eat the haggis.

Like this one? :wink:

67233824-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Rich

The picture or the Camera? (I gave the 990 to my Grandon who takes pictures with it all the time). I have a ton of images from Scottish Castles; that's my favorite item to shoot in Scotland.

Rich

Here's another castle we loved.

147143903-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It looks so formidable. With an overcast it would be better. It's Hermitage Castle; it was involved with Mary Queen of Scots. She allegedly rode the 30 miles in a day on horseback to tend to her eventual second husband. We had to travel down 10 miles of gravel roads to get to it. Then we got stuck in a Scottish rush hour (1000 sheep returning to their pen). While we waited we struck up a conversation with a red-bearded crusty shepherd and he bragged about his border collies. If I had half a brain I'd have gotten out and shot the roundup. As it was he was a delight and so typically Scottish and self-effacing. His brogue was so thick you could cut with a knife! We had a ball. Can't wait to go back in 2009.

Ronnie, and anyone else near Edinburgh. Let's make another day of it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom