Edinburgh, and the never ending wet spell

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by EdinburghGary, Aug 22, 2008.

1. A dark and moody set, technically loads of problems, and no candids even though I tried to get a few.

I got soaked through, and the Camera got a good wetting too! It has been raining mostly for weeks here.

Anyhoo, I had to stop before I was completely drowned, so this set from a 45min walk last night...

2784717739_a58f47ba20_o.

View attachment 241741

View attachment 241742

View attachment 241743

View attachment 241744

View attachment 241745

View attachment 241746

2785572864_a0f05e82d0_o.

View attachment 241748

First time for me, had fun and I know I could have spent more time thinking about compisitions etc - but I did it more for practise, see if I could capture the essence of rain.

All handheld.

Thanks guys!

Gary.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2008
  2. Nice shots Gary. A city I've missed. Was there once before and in Glasgow, to DJ.

3. a very nice series, gary
    thanks
    i like the "MOOD" of them
    thanks for sharing them with us

4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Really, really nice, Gary! I especially like 1 and 2. I also like #5 with the sheen from the rain on the sidewalk.

Good job and thanks for posting them...

5. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Nice series. I'd say getting wet was well worth it. I love those narrow windy streets. They always make me wonder what's around the bend.

6. Nice series which captures the feeling of a very wet Edinburgh. The weather has been depressing here lately. I can't remember the last day it didn't rain at some point.

Ronnie

7. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    I love what the wet ground and reflections are doing here, well done

If it makes you feel better the weather is really lame in England as well at the moment

8. Ph0to

Ph0to

Aug 19, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    The reflections are great!

9. Nice pics Gary - looks just like where I live!

10. Sheesh! Too bad guys. We've been to Scotland five times and it's only rained once, near Sterling.
    356847994_ehGWw-L.
    Poor guide was drenched.

Must be global warming...or those deep fat fried Mars bars. :rolleyes: 

Cheer up, we're coming your way June 24th next year for a long weekend. I'll go ahead and schedule sunny weather for you. :tongue:

11. Nice series- worth the soaking I would say.

12. Thanks All,

The windy street is on the way to the Castle. 20 yards or so from where the Tattoo takes place,

Gary.

13. I really enjoyed looking at these pictures. They are very good and different from what you usually see in night pictures. The rain and the wet streets contribute in a positive way to these pictures. Thanks for sharing. I downloaded one of these pictures and saw that you used ISO3200. The pictures look pretty much noise free. Did you use a noise reduction program?

Gert-Jan

14. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Mmmm. Love me some dark and moody. Thanks.

15. Wonderful city, and you captured a damp and mysterious evening so well that set--some day I must get out and shoot at night in the rain!!

16. Andyc

Andyc

Nov 6, 2006
    South Wales UK
    Great shots of a great city. Love the light, shadows and reflections. The weather hasn't detracted anything from your excellent captures.
    We have visited Edinburgh 4 times and it was dry on two of those visits.... not a bad average.
    Best regards
    Andy

17. No noise reduction, however the D3 seems to be fantastic at controlling noise. The reason for the high ISO, I wanted to attempt to capture the rain without it blurring, and without flash...

Thanks,

Gary.

18. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Who says that dark rainy days have nothing to offer for photography. Great series.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.