Editing Metadata

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by triangular, Sep 27, 2005.

1. What are the choices for editing NEF metadata tags?

I really like how easily this can be done using Bridge, although it doesn't add those tags directly to the NEF. I believe it writes them to the XMP sidecar files, and then burns the tags into the final file after the raw conversion. Is this correct?

As much as I prefer this kind of ACR workflow, I find much better results when I edit my NEF and do the raw converting with Nikon Capture. That being said, I have not found a way to edit all the metadata tags with NC. Is there a way?

If I could edit the NEF with NC and then move to Bridge and ACR for metadata edits and final raw conversion, that would be perfect. But in practice it doesn't always work because ACR doesn't seem to read all the NEF adjustments from NC, or at least it doesn't always perform a comparable raw conversion.

So the basic problem with these two choices are that Bridge and ACR don't properly read all the NC edits, while NC won't read the XMP metadata tags. What other software choices are able to directly edit the NEF metadata?

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. nfoto

nfoto Guest

EXIFUtils will do that. I'm running version 2.6 on Windows.

Personally, I'd rather extract the metadata to a data base instead of fiddling around with the files directly. From a data base you can generate jpgs (or TIFs) with fresh data (IPTC, EXIF) if any program should crash the original data within the image file(s), something happening all the time.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

As far as I recall, EXIFUtils can copy the entire "MakerNote" section into another file. That would take care of w/b and so on. I haven't the manual at hand to see whether you actually can edit the Makernote itself, but you certainly can extract lots of different data from it (I do that all the time, since ISO settings for many Nikons are hidden there. Plus I read out the lens data).

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

7. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Paul: read my previous posts. I do not write to the NEFs, I collect the data in my data base.

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

9. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    To add keywords, captions, copyright data (all IPTC data), you might want to try one of the programs that is dedicated to that purpose. I use Image Info Toolkit (IIT) to append IPTC data to all my images. It has a keyword catalog that you can customize, and it will quickly append data to tiff or jpeg without otherwise affecting the files (and in the case of jpegs, which I don't use anyway, it appends the data without opening and resaving the jpeg which would cause some loss of data). If you need to caption thousands of images (as I do) then a dedicated IPTC program is a must.

10. I have yet to be happy with any of the ones I have tried. Bridge is okay I guess, but I want something I have more control over.

This may lead me to write my own software that does these things. A database mean to really just be a database and nothing else.

Not sure if it would end up being Windows or Mac as I use and write software for both.

The point being it is hard to manage a greater workflow with the mess of tools we all use. At least as the number of images and hard disks grows.

11. bstaggs

bstaggs Guest

IMatch has an IPTC & EXIF editor. I have been using it for a few weeks now and although I don't use the IPTC or EXIF editor (i import to database), I am VERY happy the the application. I can honestly say it is worth the $60. Check it out and see what you think.

http://www.photools.com/

12. I have been using iMatch for several years now. While the user interface leaves something to be desired the mechanics of the program are exceeded by none.

About a year ago I tried in vain to inject GPS data into some NEF RAW files. I spent several weeks searching for a program that would add this data. I came close with EXIF utils but it rendered the raw files unreadable by Nikon Capture. In the end I decided to add information to an external database and leave the RAW files alone. I find it helpful now to think of RAW files as negatives. NEVER alter them. Always use a copy.

Just my two cents.

13. iMatch has been mentioned. I was wondering about iView Pro. Anybody use this? Is it similar in its features?