Editing photos

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by TheCommons, Sep 9, 2008.

1. TheCommons

TheCommons

Jul 2, 2008
    LA, CA ;)
    Im about to take the plunge and finally order a D700. I have a question about the programs that are able to read the D700 Raw files.

Im currently using a mac and this is my workflow:

I connect my camera to my computer, iPhoto opens and downloads all the photos.
    I then open the photos(RAW) I want using Photoshop CS3 and I edit them, save to jpeg.

From what I gather CS3 does not support the raw files in a D700,
    Just to make sure I know what Im going to be in for, Im assuming that NX2 will replace the job iPhoto is doing, and it will also have to change the file format of a D700 raw file to something CS3 can open?

2. Adobe should have ACR support soon.
    In the mean time you can use the 60 day trial NX2 software.

I don't know from iPhoto but Nikon Transfer does an excellent job of moving files, renaming, adding EXIF info etc.

Don

3. CS3 and LR2 both handle D700 files, quite well actually. Can't find a good reason to use NX2 with the speed and quality of LR2.

4. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Just make sure you download and install ACR 4.5 for CS3, and you will have no problems reading D700 raw files. Down load the beta camera profiles also. They make a world of difference, and work really well.

5. The Adobe site doesn't list support for the D700 in Camera Raw 4.5, not saying it doesn't work but that is the information
    on which I based my post.

Still, and I hate like heck to say this, NX2 does a better job on D3 files and I'm guessing the same is true for D700.

Alan - I tried the beta profiles a few days ago and wasn't all that impressed with them. IMO they still need some polish.

Don

6. I just don't see it Don. I always thought I had a critical eye for color and quality, but maybe not. I find LR2 to be on par with NX2 and think the LR2 profiles are great. I prefer Adobe for ease of use and speed and the quality is great to me.

I've yet to see a comparison and I'm not inclined to do one since I'm happy with LR2 so I'm already convinced. :smile:

7. SWLD

SWLD

Feb 10, 2008
    GB
    Where are the profiles Alan?

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Don is right in saying that NX2 handles the NEW files better than the others. The files were created by Nikon, so it only makes sens that Nikon software would be best for the initial processing, especially USM - NX2 is perfect in that category. Also, the color control capabilities of NX2 are just stellar. I have used all 3 - CS3, LR and NX2 and you can't go wrong with OEM software for your NEF files. Would you take your Porsche to a Honda mechanic?

9. I'm not sure anyone is "right". It's how you use the processor. I get the same results from LR2 as I do from NX2 with many advantages: faster workflow, better integration with photoshop for additional edits, and a more capable software program in it's ability to manage images as well as process (NX2 is not nearly as capable for reviewing/tagging/editing all in one).

More importantly, the proof is in the output. We can talk all we want about what's better or worse. Samples are the only "truth" and can be judged by the viewer. Of course, so much of image processing is subjective I'm not sure anyone needs to be convinced as to what's "best" - since it's whatever gets you to your desired result. :wink:

Oh, and I don't think the car:mechanic analogy is on point. I prefer butcher:chef. The butcher provides the RAW meat and the chef cooks it to perfection. No one asks their butcher to cook their meat. :tongue:

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin

I am speaking more in fundamental terms rather than the aesthetics. How NX2 acquires and arranges the data of the RAW files versus the other programs. So for me, I find it better to start off with NX2 in the initial tweak of the RAW files. Then I use the other popular applications to further edit the image. Not saying it's better...just more pure :smile:. So, Joe, if ya grill me up a steak(medium well), I promise to give you a ride in my Porsche :wink::biggrin:

11. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    you need Adobe Camera raw 4.5 for the D700 and works like a charm in Psh cs3

12. Gotcha, certainly see the advantages of NX2 reading the RAW data.

Filet or Strip, hope you have a GT3. :tongue:

13. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    No, not a GT3.....

1781244280_c5e58d003d_b.jpg

:tongue:

Maybe when I am done with my Vincent Versace NX2 DVD I'll send it your way....it shows a lot of neat tricks :biggrin:

14. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
  15. AlanG

AlanG

May 6, 2008
    Virginia, USA
    Well they are still betas. I'm sure Adobe would appreciate any feed back for improving the final release versions.

16. Shurenuff

Shurenuff

Dec 28, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Holy hell!!! Sweet Carrera GT!!