EEscalante, Moab, Grand Canyon...in October?

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by maraya, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Have reservations for a trip to Utah and Nevada starting Sept 30th- Oct 12th....can hardly wait especially after seeing all the great posts on the forum.
    I am used to the unpredictable weather up here but am wondering what to expect then. Was also wondering if it would be Autumn colours then or is it later?
    Cheers
    Barb

2. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I've never been in the fall. Should be fun. I'd like to go to Zion and see the fall colors someday.

3. In 1996, I made a similar trip (except for Moab) in early-mid September.

Weather-wise, it was still quite hot - in the mid-90's as I recall.

Most of what I saw during my trip was high desert Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon, Lake Powell etc. So, the only area that I was at that would have autumn colors at some point during the year was Zion. At the time I was in Zion, there was no hint of autumn at that point. So, I doubt that you'd have much in terms of autumn colors at the time you plan to travel there.

Still a great trip at any time of year, though.....

Enjoy it!

P.S.: I belive that Gordon (one of the Cafe moderators) lives in St.George, Utah, which is perhaps an hour or so from Zion. He can probably give you the best advice as to weather and autumn colors in the area.

4. Well, I have been there in October to Moab area and Escalante in November.

October will be busy or crowded in Moab since it is end of season for Mountain bikers. As for fall colors you might be early as I was there toward end of October and they were just about peaked then...

You are going to be driving quite a bit to do Moab, Escalante and Grand Canyon.

If I were you I would cut it down to two of the three places and if you really want to I would concentrate on just one area.. Yo could easily spend the whole time in Moab and have literally hundreds of places to go for the time you are there...

Just my 2 cents from experience but then again what do I know...

5. Will try to PM him and see if he can add anymore info. Thanks for the info and also the suggestions. Appreciate anything we can get. Its hard to imagine that it would be on the 90's still then when we probably could have snow...judging by the chilly summer we have had.
    Barb

Thanks for the driving info. It always looks smaller on the map and also it is slower when there is still tourist traffic. As you say that is great bike country and the cooler temps would draw lots of people. We might have to narrow our stops and trip down a bit....especially if I want to hit some sunrise pictures :biggrin::biggrin:
    Barb

6. By the sound of my replies I will be too early for Fall colours...I will have to make another trip back!:biggrin:
    The seasons are so short for us up here at 51degrees north I figured if I added a month on I 'd be OK.
    Barb

7. Well you will not have tourist traffic, but you cannot drive very fast on the windy roads out there... That is why it takes longer to get from one spot to the other..

In all honesty I would stick to Moab and you could spend a entire week in the area and use Moab as a basecamp and head in every direction and have something to shoot..

I have found that if you concentrate on a area you come back with much better images then tring to cover everything in the area...

But then again what do I know....