Egret dining at the Sanibel causeway

DSC_8571-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Great capture, but look back on your post processing. Blue halo around the bill, as mentioned above. Lots of noise in the water. Lost some of the detail in the white feathers. Is this a crop of a bigger image? Post your exif data and we can help more.
Gary

Added: If you did not want a critique, I apologize. I find that is how I get better. I was not trying to downplay this great image.

Last edited:
Real Name
Andy
we can help more
@Indrek, although you didn't ask for critique, I also think this image is worth a bit of extra effort in post. It looks like you may have used a hand-drawn mask in LR here. If you're interested, I bet we can drum up some ideas for other ways to get the most out of this great capture. If not, that's OK too.

Nice.
I see noise in the blue water and a blue halo around the bill.
Thanks for the feedback. I did some hasty post processing initially and ended up with unwanted artifacts. When i have time I will have another go at editing more carefullyy.

Great capture, but look back on your post processing. Blue halo around the bill, as mentioned above. Lots of noise in the water. Lost some of the detail in the white feathers. Is this a crop of a bigger image? Post your exif data and we can help more.
Gary

Added: If you did not want a critique, I apologize. I find that is how I get better. I was not trying to downplay this great image.
Thanks for the feedback. I fully agree that constructive criticism helps to develop better skills. the image i posted is a crop: maybe 75% of an f5.6 , 1/2000th and ISO 240 original NEF image. I used a Nikon D-500 and 200-500 lens at 500mm. While i could have halved the exposue time yo get the ISA down, I wanted to keep a high shutter speed in case the bird took off. I have to confess the edits are sloppy as I originally intended just to post to Facebook where the problems were less obvious. I was encouraged by positive feedback so I posted here to see what keen photographers would think.

Please do take a close look at your processing. The d500 can handle iso 240 without any problems. Heck I usually shoot iso 1000 or more without any issue. You have the equipment, you have the shooting skills. Post processing skills are the next step, and can be as important as the shooting.
Gary

Here is the image with just basic adjustments to the white and black points and the default Lightroom sharpening at 26.
The second image has some spot sharpening to avoid adding noise to the water. I would appreciate learning any post processing advice that anyone may have.
Egret feeding no extra sharpening.jpg
Egret feeding edit.jpg

Getting better. The second image still has too much noise in the water. Time for selective sharpening. At least around the face it looks a little crunchy on the 2nd one. It would probably print well, but for the screen I would go between the two.

Latest threads

Top Bottom