Egret fight (large post)

It took me a while to post-process the following sequence (courtesy of the machine gun aka D2H) after my visit to the Palo Alto Baylands Preserve a few weeks back: I just got around to it.

I didn't know that these big birds could fight each other that agressively with the biggest weapon they have: their long beak! It's amazing that an eye was not put out in that conflict, and it looks like the one which was there before held his ground, errr, branch! :)

Just landing to cause trouble
25052445-O.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Maybe if I look bigger, he'll be intimidated?
25052446-O.jpg

Uh-Oh! This is not going so well after all!
25052447-O.jpg

Now I think I really p$ssed him off, didn't I?
25052449-O.jpg

Ouch, he's just huuuuurting me!
25052450-O.jpg

This is no good, I gotta do something, quick!
25052452-O.jpg

He's getting tired, I know it, I can win this, I'm telling you I can!
25052453-O.jpg

Oops, I think I spoke too fast...
25052455-O.jpg

At least I still have all my limbs and eyes!
25052456-O.jpg

All with D2H + 70-200VR + 1.7TC, probably shot too tight (no cropping there!) but the sequence went down so quickly that I didn't react on all fronts: I kept firing trying to keep the action in the finder, that's about it! :oops:

Excellent series Philippe. These guys are very aggressive. We saw constant squabbles between individual Snowys and with other species as well at the Alligator Farm.

Very well done.

Great post they look fantastic, of all the birds I saw down in FLA the Snowys seemed to have the most attitude between themselves. Great series thanks for sharing

K

Ken-L

Great shots! I see that one has a yellow mask, the other is black - was this a male & female?

Thank you very much folks for your kind comments! :p

I have no idea if this was a male/female thing, a young protecting his nest or just a routine fight so they have something to do, or even something else: is it a snowy vs. a (young) great white egret, by the beak markings?

Anyway, I had never seen this behavior before but that does not mean much, given that I am not an experienced "birder" by any means... And, yes, I was thrilled to be able to keep pace with the action in the viewfinder. That would have been an impossible sequence with the D70, I think. :roll: :lol:

Hi Philippe

Most excellent series :D Beautifully done, luv the colors, the whole pkg and great sequence. Hope you printed that first shot, most fabulous!!!!

Keith

Philippe Roger said:
]I didn't know that these big birds could fight each other that agressively with the biggest weapon they have: their long beak! It's amazing that an eye was not put out in that conflict, and it looks like the one which was there before held his ground, errr, branch! :)

That's a remarkable series, Philippe. Compliments.

From their appearances, they're both adult and into mating season, as witnessed by the long feather trails on their chests. I think it was sex play, rather than a fight. He said "yes", she said "no", and he retreated.

All with D2H + 70-200VR + 1.7TC, probably shot too tight

I felt the same way when I used the Kenko 1.4X with the 80-200. Next time, I'm just going to use the native lens.

Thanks a bunch again guys and gals! I am blushing now from so much praise of truly accomplished photographers, including all you birdies shooter masters! :oops: ;-) :lol:

As far as post-processing, it was very light really, done in Capture, but the WB (Auto -1) was pretty much spot on, as was the exposure (-1.0 EV) in A mode with a rather small aperture, F11, for good DOF. I also had a smidgeon of fill flash in FP mode, but given the distance of perhaps 25-30ft, I doubt it had a big impact... A bit of USM after resize, framing in PS and voila! :p

I haven't printed any of these yet, but I think I will: heck, I may even try one of the online outfits for a larger size, say 16x20, not sure they would withstand 20x30 though: any tips for doing that :?:

Latest threads

Top Bottom