1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Egret meets heron

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Baxter, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    This would not be an unusual interaction in many places, but we rarely see egrets at my usual shooting spot. Saw this happening just as I was wading out into the river and snapped a few frames handheld as the birds warily checked each other out.

[​IMG]

550mm, ISO 320, 1/400, f5.6

2. WOW, what a shot! That's some fancy shootin there pilgrim! :Guns::biggrin:

3. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Thanks Diane. Like Jose says, gotta love VR. This is 400mm plus TC14, not just handheld but quick draw from unsteady footing at long distance in relatively low light at 1/400 on 550mm. Should not work, but VR makes it at least possible. I didn't do any sharpening to the shot (that's pretty obvious!), just cropped it.

4. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice capture Hunter.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Good capture.
    I know the GBH is very protective of thier space and will chase the Egret and they squawk very loud

6. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Thx Frank and Gale. These two parted without a squabble. I believe the heron is immature so it may not be as aggressive.

7. Great angle on this shot, Hunter. Beautiful!

8. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Great shot. It looks like a standoff

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.