Egret; Upon Reflection...

Real Name
Dan
My single keeper from yesterday. This guy was in a cove that was protected from the wind.

I'm torn between keeping the reflection or cropping tighter and pulling out the feather detail. With the D850 there are just so many pixels to choose from :)

D850, 500mm PF, handheld
1/500s f5.6 ISO400

1)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I really like the minimalist feeling of the first. You can get closeup images of an egret anytime, any day. Anymore anyone can get a closeup image with feather detail. Not anyone can get the first image. It tells a more interesting story.
Also, for a closeup image I think the head position is off a little. Bird is slightly looking away, I would prefer a different head tilt. That part doesn't matter as much in the first image.
My opinion, for what that is worth.
If it were mine, I would add a couple of inches of water on the bottom to balance it out a little. I am no photoshop guru, and I could do it in 30secs. Right now, it feels a little squeezed on the bottom.
Thanks for sharing such a lovely image.
Gary

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Ditto Gary's comments above. I'd also reduce the amount of blank space at the top just a bit, but still leaving the bird slightly below center.

Real Name
Dan
I like the reflection. Very nice.
Thanks, Dan.
Why not do both - keep reflection and pull out feather detail using radial filter in Lightroom?
Thanks, Bob. I guess what I meant had more to do with format/size than processing. To present it large enough to be able to see the feather detail.
I really like the minimalist feeling of the first. You can get closeup images of an egret anytime, any day. Anymore anyone can get a closeup image with feather detail. Not anyone can get the first image. It tells a more interesting story. Also, for a closeup image I think the head position is off a little. Bird is slightly looking away, I would prefer a different head tilt. That part doesn't matter as much in the first image. My opinion, for what that is worth...
Good point, Gary. I've already got better closeups in my files. The only reason I took this shot was due to the smooth water and reflection. I noticed the head angle was not good but thought I could get away with it for the overall effect. Then as the saying goes I lost sight of the forest for the trees. When I started processing I got wrapped up with the challenge of pulling out the feather detail.
...If it were mine, I would add a couple of inches of water on the bottom to balance it out a little. I am no photoshop guru, and I could do it in 30secs. Right now, it feels a little squeezed on the bottom.
Thanks for sharing such a lovely image.
I don't even have to clone it in. I cropped a bit off of the original frame.
Ditto Gary's comments above. I'd also reduce the amount of blank space at the top just a bit, but still leaving the bird slightly below center.
Thanks, Karen. I'll tweak it a bit and post the changes.

Dan, both are terrific and both have their place I feel. I think this is one of those cases that you try and decide one day and feel completely differently the next day. I find it often where white on grey doesn’t always work. You have made it work nicely in both versions.

Real Name
Dan
Dan, both are terrific and both have their place I feel. I think this is one of those cases that you try and decide one day and feel completely differently the next day. I find it often where white on grey doesn’t always work. You have made it work nicely in both versions.
Thanks for the comments, Carl.
I love the reflection. Very good image.
Thanks, Phil.
I like the reflection better than the tighter crop. As others have mentioned, some additional foreground “breathing room” would be a nice addition.
Thanks, Andy. Yes I'll leave some more room when I re-edit.
I like everything but the head angle
Thanks, Randy. Yes I think the head angle kills the option of cropping tighter. It's not quite as noticeable on the version with the reflection.
Both nice but the first image with those reflections is super Dan. Congrats!
Thanks, Binnur. I think the votes for the reflection win the day :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom