1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Egret wingspread

Discussion in 'Birds' started by gchappel, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Beautiful bird. It of coarse picked one of the worst places possible to stand- but still was glorious to watch.
    These are always fun to photograph.
    Gary

gatorland am 4-20-19  0533.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 1
  2. I think it works well, Gary. The color of the beak really stands out and the spectral highlights in the BG rather than being distracting create a unique effect. And of course there's all that lovely feather detail. Nicely done.

3. I like the translucent wing but the head angle doesn’t work for me.....I need to see an eye

4. That is an artistic shot, the way that bird is checking his wing...............

5. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Wow! The lighting on the bird is exceptionally nice and the wing position is superb. I think removing the spectral background and replacing it with black (and removing the OOF limbs) would yield an excellent image.

6. I like the transparent feel.

7. Love it, just the way it is.

8. I like the transparent wing but the blobs and branch don't work for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Great picture but the head is not in the right position for me.

10. What a beauty! I love the light and the feather detail Gary.

11. Wonderful image. I'm a fan of simplicity, so I would like even more the same concepts applied in a simpler composition.

12. I really liked the background captured in this image, probably as I had never seen it before in my images.
    After living with it a while, however, the image doesn't work- for many of the reasons pointed out about.
    I tried a crop- which is stronger, and simplier. Getting closer to working. Sometimes I can't give up on an image, sometimes I should
    Gary
    artistic egret am 4-20-19  0533_crop.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

13. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    The re-do is good....but I don't you are "there" yet. LOL! I still find the background distracting.

And I still like the potential of the first image, minus the OOF limbs and circles. Maybe not a jet black background, but very dark. And a bit tighter crop.

14. Temba

Temba

Dec 29, 2008
    Southern ON.CA
    Very nice! What body and lens did you use.
    Thanks

15. That information is displayed immediately below every image on my system. Not yours?
    NIKON D850 150-600 mm f/5.0-6.3 550mm f/6.3 1/1600s ISO 100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.