Egrets and Snowy E... (lots pics)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Commodorefirst, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yep,

Shot these on the same day as the GBH, a mixture of flight shots and static poses, glad the bird juices are flowing again, getting the rust off of the 200-400VR Shot with 1.4 converter, all shot handheld

Mixed lighting, rain, clouds, etc. so the light wasn't the best

First a crop of an image further down,
    [​IMG]

flight sequence:

the takeoff, didn't like me sticking a lens his direction
    [​IMG]

heading out across the lake away from me, full frame, I like the space around the bird so I didn't crop
    [​IMG]

Still heading out, but I cropped this one in,
    [​IMG]

and the cropped photo at the start of the thread, was from this shot, I kinda liked the reflection, but the crop shows off the bird more.
    [​IMG]

One from later in the evening in the rain, focused on the front wing instead of the head, oh well... was shooting wide open because of the hour
    [​IMG]

Always have to have the obligatory head shot, but light was grey and bad:
    [​IMG]

Snowy Egret head shot also in eh light:
    [​IMG]

Snowy static shot before he took off, (which I messed up on, so no pics)
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  2. They are such elegant birds and you caught all of that!!

Nancy

3. DNAsiRNA

DNAsiRNA

Nov 27, 2006
    Dallas, USA
    very nice shots.

Wade, I have a question: I want to buy a 200-400VR, how fast is autofocus of this lens with 1.4X in D200 or D2X? Have you tried 1.7x on 200-400VR?

4. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    the auto focus isn't as fast as the 300 2.8 with the converters, and it does loose some to the 1.4, but not to much, and I shoot with the 1.7 all the time,

with the 1.7 you do loose auto focus speed, but my quality is nearly the same as my 1.4, but I have a very good converter and lens, that seems to work well together. I bought two, tested both and kept the sharper one.

almost all of these eagle pics here are with 1.7 and the Kestral flight shots are as is a lot of the Pel shots. Most of them are with the D200 and D70,
    http://homepage.mac.com/wadedowdy/photoart/PhotoAlbum40.html

5. Drooooollll.....! I would love the opportunity to see some of these gorgeous birds, never mind capturing them so wonderfully! These are beautiful, Wade!

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wow!! Very nicely done Wade. :smile:

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent shots
    Way to go

8. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Nice indeed my friend!were these taken with the new D2Xs? I figured you would make out know matter what the weather was:biggrin:ah new toys you got to love um:wink:

9. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Cruddy Light and rainy days

Makes for slow shutter speeds and higher ISO's perhaps, but also gives us better colors and non blown whites :)

The toughest thing I find in shooting egrets is getting into position so that they are actually making eye contact when flying or doing whatever it is they are doing.

I swear they look away just to drive us all nuts!

10. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks Nancy

Thanks Connie, much appreciated.

Wade

11. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Thanks Frank, Thanks Gale

Wade

12. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes, went out even in the rain on Sunday afternoon evening to your local lake, always like new toys :biggrin:

Yes the colors are more accurate, but the metering kept changing all the time because the showers and clouds were so scattered, I had to keep changing all the time, but I guess that is why it is called photography! lol

13. Congratulations on the new D2Xs!!! :smile: It is a fantastic camera and I know you will do some wonderful work with it!

14. Beautiful images Wade. I have always loved seeing images of snowy egrets and have yet to ever see one. One of these days soon I hope.

15. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Wade,

Is that a BCNH or a YCNH in the background of #6? Pretty darn cool either way!

16. Commodorefirst

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Well, was happy with my D200 bodies, (still have two of them.....lol) and I do love the size of the D200, but after a full weekend of tests, the resolution abilities of the D2xs are rather astonishing, even compared to the D200 which isn't a slouch. It almost out resloved my chart I use for lens tests.

Never give up hope, you will James!

Didn't have a clue, I didn't evensiee it until I was home and processing images, was getting dark on that shot, Was a nice find!

Thanks,

Wade