Egrets in flight - with 800mm manual focus

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Phil K, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Finally had some better weather so I went out to continue my practice with the Nikon 800/5.6. Manual focusing and tracking in-flight birds at the same time is really something very difficult for me, but it's not something impossible. Here's a few captures. Nothing spectacular, but it's a good start for a novice like me.

original.

original.

original.

2. Phil, manual focusing can be a bear when you're trying to do shots like this.
    Personally I think they are incredibly good!
    Beautiful whites.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Wow Phil! That takes some skill. Nicely done!

4. Great work Phil, More than a start they look Very good.

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Phil

6. Phil,

Incredibly good. With such results of BIF with manual focusing, you merit a big bravo.

7. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Looks pretty good to me Phil,keep at it and I am sure we will see more to come

8. Hey Phil,

Practice getting front of the birds! :biggrin: I really like these and really admire a photographer who can use a manual focus lens for BIF. With my eye-sight, I rely completely on the AF system.:mad:

9. Thank you very much, Virginia. I am still learning and I like the challenge.

Thank you very much, Andy. I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you Gary. There were a lot of OOF shots and a few were okay.

10. Thank you very much, Gale. It's fun shotting birds.

Thank you Dao. It's a big struggle at times but it's also great fun.

Thank you very much Tim. I will continue to practice.

Thank you Nick. LOL, the birds were always flying away from me and at this stage, I'm happy to get any shot in focus.

11. Great job, Phil. Very nice shots.

12. All I can say is....WOW!!! These are really cool, Phil! You are catching on fast to using that 800mm lens and getting the best from it!

13. I am very impressed, can't even imagine how difficult this must have been!

14. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent job Phil. I can't even imagine shooting BIF using manual focus, much less at 800mm. You must have the hands of a surgeon -- Oh wait, you ARE a surgeon. :smile:

15. Kudos to you Phil!! I agree with everyone above! I can't imagine manually focusing with an 800mm lens, and BIF too?? Amazing!!

16. Thank you Dave for the kind words.

Thank you very much Connie. I am still learning to use this beast and there are a lot of unsatisfactory shots. But I'll keep trying.

Thank you Gretchen. Yes, it's very difficult but is not impossible. :biggrin:

Thank you Frank. Trust me, handling surgical instruments is much easier. :wink:

Thank you very much Crystall. It's still hit and miss for me most of the time, but my reaction seems to be getting better with every try.

17. RAURICK

RAURICK Guest

The force was with you.

18. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats Phil, these are so good. It is tough enough getting proper exposures and having auto focus, but you had proper exposures and had to achieve focus manually. Quite remarkable to say the least.

19. Great sharpness on these Phil! You are really doing great with MF. Congrats.

Jose

20. Very nice Phil.

Louie