EGT 2007: Côte d'Azur here we come

Hey Steve,

hate to bother you again....:redface:

But have you got any news about Web-Access in the Villa?
There isn't any!

However, I have been told that there is a cafe not too far away that has wi-fi access. This doesn't stay open very late in the evening though, so you will not be able to get your "late night internet fix". Shucks, I guess we'll have to take photographs!:biggrin:

If you're really desperate, I'm sure we could set something up at my "house in progress". That way you could come and go all night without bothering anyone. It is literally "open-house".

For either of these options you will need transport - it is too far to walk.

You are right Steve, let's wait with further pickup-plans until Panos is coming online again :Crunk:

Maybe we could meet in Nice for lunch (Do you know something that doesn't break the bank? :redface:), then pick up Daniel and then head for Callian together?

That sounds like a good idea. I will give it some thought. I don't know that many places in Nice, but will ask the Oracle (the wife)!

As I may not want to take my tripod with me (too bulky for the luggage I think) I think it would be nice to have something like a small travel tripod that would be small enough to easily put it in the luggage or maybe even inside :eek: the minitrekker but just stable enough to hold the ~2kg of a D200+17-55 combo for the very dark scenes.

(would also be nice if it could hold it in vertical postion too, but I see that's harder for a little tripod).

I looked a bit around and came across some table tripods of manfrotto but I'm not sure if they fit the need, also a "survial kit" from Novoflex (seen here) and those joby gorilla pods.

I know all these can't take it up with a nice sturdy tripod, but they're all better than no tripod at all (if it is THAT dark) and could come in handy if you don't want to (or couldn't) take the big one with you.

Any suggestions? Or does anybody of you has some experience with those little ones?

As I may not want to take my tripod with me (too bulky for the luggage I think) I think it would be nice to have something like a small travel tripod that would be small enough to easily put it in the luggage or maybe even inside :eek: the minitrekker but just stable enough to hold the ~2kg of a D200+17-55 combo for the very dark scenes.

(would also be nice if it could hold it in vertical postion too, but I see that's harder for a little tripod).

I looked a bit around and came across some table tripods of manfrotto but I'm not sure if they fit the need, also a "survial kit" from Novoflex (seen here) and those joby gorilla pods.

I know all these can't take it up with a nice sturdy tripod, but they're all better than no tripod at all (if it is THAT dark) and could come in handy if you don't want to (or couldn't) take the big one with you.

Any suggestions? Or does anybody of you has some experience with those little ones?
Daniel,

I have a spare tripod that could be used by the group, if needed. It is a Manfrotto 055C with levelling base. I also have a Manfrotto head that has the usual tripod screw thread. If you prefer the Arca/Swiss mount, and have a head that you could bring, it could be attached.

Thanks, good to hear that you have one spare.
I just read a review on Nikonians of the gorillapod (which I find amazingly "flexible" in terms of possible usage) and the biggest one looks as if it should be sturdy enough to hold a D200+17-55, though maybe not in all positions.

I'm tempted to buy one just to play around with it....

Ok, I'll keep in mind to take my Markins head with me as I don't have a second one with Arca/swiss mount.

EDIT: reminds me that I have a Markins camera plate (PG-33, suitable for D70) lying around. If anybody has the need for it, let me know.

@Daniel: I have a travel tripod solution (in use for already two years now).

Slik Sprint mini GM

only 49€

I've changed the head to a Novoflex Ball 30, and use it with all my lenses (holds the 70-200 with D200+MBD200).

The tripod is very stable for the size. I use it often for Macro when the big one is just to cumbersome to set up....

Thanks Michael,
that looks neat and very affordable. Since you also made good experiences with it, I'll look where I can get one, looks like an good travel companion.

Hello John,

If you need a moderately priced hotel in Nice, try www.etaphotel.com.

There are 3 Etap hotels in Nice, the one close to the airport has the hotel code: 2579 (if it is fully booked, there are 2 more: Nice Californie, hotel code 2075, and Nice Palais Nikaia, hotel code 3076).

The rate is approx. 50 Euros for 2 persons (excluding breakfast).

Please note that these hotels are budget hotels so don't expect big rooms.
I think considering the price, they are o.k., at least you have your own small bathroom.
Thank you so much I will give it a try.

Hi John,

Mailbox emptied a little. I'll send you a P.M.

We need to decide what is going to happen re: a car.

Panos was talking of hiring one, you are talking of hiring one and we were talking of hiring one for the group. My suggestion (if people want to keep costs down) would be to hire one for when you arrive, which is a group vehicle. Panos could be picked up with this vehicle when he arrives.

If maximum flexibility is the key, then either you or Panos could hire a personal vehicle (smallish) and the other could be a people carrier.

We do have one (an old Espace) but is used by Armelle for work, so would be difficult to be available.

This needs deciding fairly quickly, if I am to arrange the hiring.

John - It is no problem for me to come in and pick you up. You just need to decide whether you can make do without a car for that first day or not. I can always collect you on the Saturday, when I go to pick someone else up from the airport. The other alternative would be to book in somewhere around here. I can arrange that for you, pick you up from the airport and drop you at the hotel here. You are then in the area for the Saturday, so no problems. If you got something in Fayence, for example, you would have plenty to look at within a quite small area, with no real need for a car.
:smile: I am open for any rental plan. Too many cars is as bad as too few (well almost). Let me know you can count on me.... I'd say we will have 2 suitcases plus backpacks. My number is 860 567 8681.... Can I rent a cell for the week?? Perhaps there is a number we can use for emergency purposes....

I haven't heard of the possibility of renting phones, at least in Germany.

Usually you can get a local prepaid card for a very low price, and most of the providers also offer bundles with cheap entry-level phones.
I could bring a spare Siemens S55 phone (without card) if you need one, but getting a bundled phone maybe would be less hassle than arraging to send it back to me if you would want to use it for your whole visit.

As I don't know the french phone companies and their offers, maybe Steve can give you better advise.

Steve we have no need for a car in Nice day 1. What I am concerned about are the two suitcases and gear. I do not know how much your car can hold....

We are still 2 to a room, right? :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
:smile:

Touching ground... we're back :smile:

Michael, thanks for taking care of the linen, yes we would love to "rent" them instead of airfreight them :wink: We don't know if we have a double or single beds though :confused:

We suggest we rent a group car (7 seated).

We are traveling light (very light) so no laptop for us. :eek:

My poor wife is attempting to follow this thread :smile: To avoid the legal hassle of divorce I booked using Christine's Suggestion
31 AUG Etap Hotel Nice aéroport-Promenade des Anglais
Tel : (+33)892680649 | 455 Promenade des Anglais - - 06299 NICE CEDEX - FRANCE

No worries on a cell phone ("in the dark ages") we traveled Germany quite happily without a cell.

So I just need a ride from Steve on 1 September. As far as rental's go I will chip in however you work out the details https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
My poor wife is attempting to follow this thread :smile: To avoid the legal hassle of divorce I booked using Christine's Suggestion
31 AUG Etap Hotel Nice aéroport-Promenade des Anglais
Tel : (+33)892680649 | 455 Promenade des Anglais - - 06299 NICE CEDEX - FRANCE

No worries on a cell phone ("in the dark ages") we traveled Germany quite happily without a cell.

So I just need a ride from Steve on 1 September. As far as rental's go I will chip in however you work out the details https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
:biggrin:
We can always pick you up from Nice when we're there :wink:
[cell] +30 694 532 7360 :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
We can always pick you up from Nice when we're there :wink:
[cell] +30 694 532 7360 :wink:
Super we can save Steve a trip...... Now I need to put some pressure on Nancy. Are two suitcases and gear too much? We could possibly do one suitcase.

Also is there anything on my equipment list any of you want to try. My stuff is pretty modest but let me know.

John

Super we can save Steve a trip...... Now I need to put some pressure on Nancy. Are two suitcases and gear too much? We could possibly do one suitcase.

Also is there anything on my equipment list any of you want to try. My stuff is pretty modest but let me know.

John
Two suitcases is no problem.

Michael and I talked about meeting up for a meal on Saturday lunch, prior to coming over here around 2ish. In that case, there would be a minimum of two people carriers, if not another vehicle which I drive. The scenario with just the two vehicles is if I hired the people carrier that Panos was looking to get, from over here. The Ford Centre (tied in with Europecar) here, apparently allows final dropoffs at the airport.

So, I don't know whether John and Nancy and Panos and Joanna are interested in meeting up for a meal with Michael and Christine and myself. However, now that Michael is not waiting for Daniel, maybe the meal could take place around here. In that way, you could gain access to the house as soon as it was available, and I shoot off and pick up Daniel.

For this arrangement to work, Michael would need to meet up with Panos at the airport and pick up the second car. They would then go to the Etap Hotel to pick up John and Nancy, and then make their way over here. My guess is that it would not be before 12.30pm, that you access the motorway at junction 39. I would meet up with you all, have lunch, show you the house and then go and pick up Daniel.

The alternative (still having lunch around here) would be for me to come over in the second hire car (if arranged from here) or my own if not, and go and pick up John and Nancy. We then make our way over to the airport to meet up with Michael and Christine and Panos and Joanna. If I am in the hire vehicle we can save some time, as it sometimes takes up to an hour to pick up a vehicle from the airport! If not we all wait and leave together and go and have lunch around Fayence/Callian. This arrangement would at least save you the time of finding and picking up John and Nancy.

This would be my preference as I do not like the idea of leaving the valuables in the cars, unattended in Nice. It is more relaxed around here, parking is not a problem and the valuables can be secured. However, it is your call - I'm easy.

Things to do

I have been trying to think of things to do.

One thing that Armelle suggested was to arrange a meeting with Andre Villers. Has anyone heard of him? He is a photographer who lives in the area and is quite famous. We haven't contacted him, as yet, as I wanted to gauge the level of interest. He is quite old and may not be prepared to meet up, but will try if there is some interest. If we go,make sure you know something about him and his work:biggrin:

There is a cycle race taking place on the Sunday. These are fast and furious, and depending on the route, it is difficult to get in front of the riders again, once they have passed you.

Although it is quite a journey, I think a visit to Marseille would be worthwhile. This is still very much a working port, and has lots of interesting elements.

The Verdon Canyon is not too far, and is quite spectacular.

I am sure you will have some other ideas, but they were just a few I had.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom