Electric Guitar Product Shots - Need Ideas

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PhotoByMark, Jul 9, 2005.

1. Hello everyone.

I need some help and advice and thoughts on taking pics of some electric guitars for a website. The goal of the pics are for promotion to sell the guitars.

I have been asked to take these pictures for a fella that is in a small local band who builds his own electric guitars (they are very cool!). He plays in a country and western band so I believe something that would go with that kind of theme would be good.

I am thinking of taking some shots outside perhaps in the early evening with a nice scenic background. I do not have my SB800 (or multiple SB800's) so I am not sure I can get some great shots indoors. Like that would help anyway, I do not have much flash experience yet.

Maybe, take them by a stream or at the river or lake or sunset? Don't know?

I am not near as creative as some of you out there so maybe someone can give me a few ideas. Hmmmm, what kind of pic of A guitar would make it you want to buy it? Yeah that it was I was thinking - A guitar with a 200-400 VR lense in the middle of it. Just kidding.

Oh and if I can get something he likes and he pays me something then this would be my first revenue generating oppurtunity! 8) And all proceeds go to my savings account for a 70-200 VR and 1.7 TC.

2. kccheers

kccheers

May 2, 2005
    Liberty, Mo
    Mark, the guys at www.wildwoodguitars.com do a great job of product shots for selling. He takes the shot of the guitar with a black background, I beleive a simple black blanket, then photoshops it completely when doing the pp so the guitar "jumps" out at you. This is especially cool if the body of the guitar is figured maple. Another great site for the same type of example is the Tom Anderson site. I know it isn't a lot as far as photo creativity, but it sure does the job selling the guitars.

3. Brew

Brew Guest

mmmmmmmmm Wildwood guitars!!!!! :D Now I have GAS!!! (kind of like Lens lust)

I think a black background makes the guitar stand out. I just used a large cut of black fleece for mine here..

But I have seen some nice outdoor shots As well but the nice scenery can distract the shopper. IMO

4. Brew

Brew Guest

Another thing if he uses nice wood for the tops you want to try and get an angle that highlights the grain/flame of the wood...

5. Brew

Brew Guest

6. Brew And KCCheers, Thanks for the tips.

I think you are right a black background makes the guitar stand out. And the whole point is to hi-lite and showcase the product. I am heading down now to take a look at one of his guitars. Also like the idea of trying to get an angle (view) to showcase the woodgrain.

Thanks.

7. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
  8. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Nicely done twig - in the 'Wildwood' style :D

I have an affinity with fine guitars - I had to sell three of them to get my D2X :shock:

9. Twig.

Nice shots. I think the black background is simple and brings out the guitar. So maybe I should use some black fabric of some sort? for the background.