1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Electronic shutter vs. mechanical shutter

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by jamesd3rd, Jul 1, 2008.

1. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    I was wondering if anyone had any theories as to why Nikon didn't stick with the faster flash sync speed of the electronic shutter on their more recent bodies?

Did they not feel is was cost effective? Wouldn't a faster flash sync speed be something everyone would want?

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Only their 6MP sensor has an electronic/digital shutter

that is not to be confused with electromechanical shutters, which all Nikon DSLRs have.

3. ultimind

ultimind

May 13, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I've quite enjoyed the 1/500th flash sync for shooting outdoors with my D70. :smile:

It will be a bit strange when I switch to something new and have half the shutter speed with flash.

4. spoot

spoot

Aug 29, 2007
    Vancouver
    Does anyone know why they do not still use and digital shutter? The only reason I can think of is that the electrical current might mess with the sensor and increase the noise. Other than that, it would seem that the digital one has many advantages to the mechanical, such as faster sync speed, increase life, etc.

5. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal

That's what I would like to know. Why would they not continue to add it to their other bodies. To me going to a mechanical shutter when you can use an electronic shutter is going backwards.

1/500th flash sync.....1/200th or 1/250th? Seems more than a no brainer to me.

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    according to thom hogan, it has to do with a change in the way data is read off the sensor. i have no experience with that, maybe someone with a chip design background can confirm this

ricky

7. TonyBeach

TonyBeach Guest

Blooming. The problem was noticeable on electronic shutters and Nikon solved it by returning to mechanical shutters.

8. Thom's right, just like Mom said, "Kid, there ain't no free lunch".

Read this for more information especially if you like articles which start out with, ".......a capacitive coupled bipolar active pixel based imager
    having overflow protection and electronic shuttering features.":eek: 

Bottom line: Electronic shutters must be designed with pixels which are read by the camera's processor in such a way that the image quality is sacrificed. That's why, in spite of some attractive features like high sync speed, you don't see them in high end cameras, at least in today's market.

9. dan1son

dan1son

Sep 24, 2007
    Austin
    Basically the sensor in the 6mp Nikon cameras has a mechanical shutter as a way to block light to the sensor to improve performance. It's not really required per se. The sensor itself is told when to start grabbing light for a shot. That's the same way almost every P&S camera works as well. So the shutter gets out of the way, THEN the sensor is activated, then the shutter covers it up.

A purely mechanical shutter gets out of the way to let the actual light in. The "higher end" sensors don't have electronic shutters because of the extra cost require to design them that way and to build the sensor. It's relatively easier to design a good sensor that is activated when the light hits it and not when it's told to start reading. The light grabbing materials can be more accurate if they don't constantly see light.

10. I just bought a new D70S , old stock , brand new 12 month Nikon waranty because it has the 1005 segment meter and high speed flash synch . I played around with my SB24 and 1/2000th sec .

fash011.
    NIKON D70s    ---    75mm    f/2.8    1/2000s   

It didn't quite catch all the light at 1/8000th sec but I can live with that , and whatever supposed loss in image quality that I can't detect .

fash013.
    NIKON D70s    ---    75mm    f/2.8    1/8000s   

11. One thing nice about the D70 shutter is when you lock up the mirror and remove power it stays up for sensor glass cleaning.

12. Now that's some useful information ! I've seriously considered getting rid of the D80 with its awful metering system and getting another D70S to replace it .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.