Elements question

I'm pretty sure that it does, but it would only support cameras that were around at the time of 4.0...maybe 3 years ago.

I owned many previous versions of PSE (I think 3,4,& 5) and the problem with these versions is not that it can't process RAW, but that it can't do so in a efficient way.

Just my opinion:

- If you stay with PSE, then shoot primarily JPEG
- If you really want to standardize on RAW and make it easy, then upgrade to Adobe Lightroom.

Although LR is a little pricey, it can be had with an education discount for $99. I was taking some college courses so I took advantage of this program.

Good Luck!

I used PSE5 and it did process NEFs from my D70s (not sure about the other newer models). However, the version of ACR (the Adobe Raw Conversion software) was limited in terms of all of the settings that I could get to - particularly in terms of colour. This led to all of my converted images being "flat".

I did a lot of work experimenting with different settings (mainly based on one of Scott Kelby's books) but I could never get what I considered satisfactory results.

I think that the full version of Photoshop comes with an ACR module that does allow you to get to all of the settings.

I ended up moving to Capture NX and I'm very happy with it, because it respects all of the camera settings.

Andy

E6 and 7 process NEFs with no problem. I use LR primarily, but use Elements for the occasional pixel level edit...

B

Bluespace

Will Photoshop Elements 4.0 process RAW files?

It will but as mentioned the version of ACR will be an older less efficient one. Newer cameras may not work with it. You might find Elements 7 to your liking as a cost effective solution as ACR in this is updated and has more features, though the elements ACR version is not as complex as Lightrooms or photoshop CS it still performs great and I find it good enough for my needs.

Never really got on with LR :frown:

Regards

John

LR is way out of my price range right now.

I just want to learn more about editing and improve my knowledge and figured shooting RAW was the next step for me as a JPEG only shooter for 3 years.

Maybe I will look into the Elements 7.0 version.

Thanks for the help folks!

I think it's the changes and improvements in ACR that makes Elements V4, 5, 6, or 7 performance suitable. I would suggest you go with at least v5 though. There were huge improvements over v4. PSE7 is superb if it fits yer budget.

I wouldn't say LR is pricey for the benefits attained - just my view and coloured at that!! LOL

I don't disagree. IMHO if you shoot RAW and want to stick with Adobe, you really need Lightroom.

However, the $299 entry point can be a little steep for some (compared to Elements at less then $100). That being said, I would still encourage people to seriously consider the switch...this is because LR upgrades are less than $100 and not much more than Elements going forward.

B

Bluespace

As the OP mentions he is new to raw after shooting jpeg for 3 years so possibly LR would be something to step up to at a later date. He might find the easier ACR in Elements more suitable for starting out with all the benefits of a pretty competent pixel editor, then if the interest is sparked most certainly consider Lightroom.

Personally I would like to see a version of Elements with the full power of ACR and would pay extra for that option, how about that Adobe? :wink:

regards

John.

B

Bluespace

ACR is a plug-in for Photoshop CSn and Elements. They are the same.

Not quite. There are less features in the Elements version though they may share the same version number. The versions in LR and CS# are the same fully fledged raw converters.

Regards

John.

B

Bluespace

I have both CS4 and PSE7 and I can't tell the difference.

Think you need to look a bit closer. Count the available adjustment tabs and look at the differences in the lists.

John.

I may be wrong but I think the there is only one version of ACR for both PS and PSE.
See here:http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=kb407344&sliceId=2
The difference people may be seeing could be to do with the version they have installed which would also be dependent on their version of PSE.

Lightroom has the ACR engine integrated into the application itself and as such is not upgradable, new dot releases of LR are made to coincide with releases of ACR updates.

B

Bluespace

Hello Geoff,

I think we picked this up in a different thread as well. I have 5.3 ACR in PSE7 and under the histogram in the raw editor there are 3 tabs. Tab 1 for basic editing, exposure, shadows etc, Tab 2 has sharpening and noise control, Tab 3 has previous ACR profiles and my D300 profiles.

Now as you have CS4 open up the raw converter and see how many tabs you can see under the histogram. You have 5.3 as well but you will see 5 or 6 tabs and many extra adjustments available. This is the difference I refer to. Elements has the same engine ( 5.3) but not the same controls, it has less.

Regards

John.

So that must be an Elements programming thing and not to do with ACR. Interesting!!

Yes, sometimes I'm sure I have had conversations before - usually don't recall where though!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom