Eleven inch tablet on the horizon

here. I knew it was coming. What is missing from the paperless reading experience is a tablet which offers the readability of a magazine-sized format. It's one thing to read an e-book which can fit into the 7-10" format but reading web pages with their side columns makes considerable image manipulation necessary. You wind up holding the thing in one hand and re-sizing every article on every page. I could even see tablets going a bit larger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let's see....I'll take sarcasm for $100 please Mr. Trebek. Assuming you are serious there is probably a power consumption crossover point. For me I would love a screen which displays the text area of a standard U.S. magazine page. Additionally this would give an almost full-sized keyboard to work on; the Mac's is 27cm.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
No sarcam intended, I'm serious. I predict that in a few years you will be able to buy a tablet in lots more sizes. No need to limit ourselves to one magazine page.

I also think they should all be phones. I think Apple missed a huge opportunity when they failed to make an iPhone version of the iPad.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
If a tablet came in a 20 inch, then what's the difference between carrying that versus a full size laptop or a netbook? To me, it wouldn't make much sense to have a tablet, unless I'm overlooking something...

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
If a tablet came in a 20 inch, then what's the difference between carrying that versus a full size laptop or a netbook? To me, it wouldn't make much sense to have a tablet, unless I'm overlooking something...
Tablets - as least as defined by Apple - are primarily designed for consuming, not for creating material (beyond simple emails). They are simpler devices which can be used by almost all the population. You only need the abilities of a 4 year old to work it.

So there will be many people who just want to make this lightweight use of computers, with browsing, reading, and email conversations, and for them the tablets are very useful. With a 20 inch tablet on one's lap, one can really appreciate web pages, magazines and so on.

I don't happen to be that sort of person, I need a full power machine, so I would never buy a tablet. But I have used them and enjoyed them.

No sarcam intended, I'm serious. I predict that in a few years you will be able to buy a tablet in lots more sizes. No need to limit ourselves to one magazine page.

I also think they should all be phones. I think Apple missed a huge opportunity when they failed to make an iPhone version of the iPad.
The weight factor isn't that great with two hands, but when you have to keep adjusting the page with one and cantilevering the device with the other it gets wearying. Put touch control surfaces along the edge bezels (right or left) and you'd have a winner.

Tablets - as least as defined by Apple - are primarily designed for consuming, not for creating material (beyond simple emails). They are simpler devices which can be used by almost all the population. You only need the abilities of a 4 year old to work it.

So there will be many people who just want to make this lightweight use of computers, with browsing, reading, and email conversations, and for them the tablets are very useful. With a 20 inch tablet on one's lap, one can really appreciate web pages, magazines and so on.

I don't happen to be that sort of person, I need a full power machine, so I would never buy a tablet. But I have used them and enjoyed them.
My 2 yearold has been using my tablet for 6 months lol

Can you imagine walking down the street with the iPad against your ear like a mobile :biggrin::wink:
I can say that I've been in several museums and have seen people holding their iPad's up in the air taking pictures as they would with their point and shoots. :rolleyes:

And you know, that drives me up the wall (and I cannot tell you why...). :Curved:
Agree.. me too.. though to be honest, to have the ability to view the scene on a large screen, immediately edit the photo on an app and then upload/share the photo all within seconds of taking it ... very appealing!

Real Name
Bill Mellen
Agree.. me too.. though to be honest, to have the ability to view the scene on a large screen, immediately edit the photo on an app and then upload/share the photo all within seconds of taking it ... very appealing!
The most intriguing part is that you will probably be able to do this and produce a high fidelity 24 megapixel image in about 2 years!

And you know, that drives me up the wall (and I cannot tell you why...). :Curved:
Yesterday in Delft there was a young lady walking along theside streets of the market holding her iPAD up in front of her face making a video of all she saw. I suppose it works, but with the number of bicyclists racing around she was asking for a collision.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom