1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Elk Migration

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by bsinc1962, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Every year herds of Elk migrate in the mountains around us. Occasionally they pass through close enough to get a few shots off. This morning was one of those times. It was pretty cold ( about 9 degrees) waiting around for enough light to get pictures before they moved on.

Follow the Leader
    Elk Migration through Dubois.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Mixing it up
    LH Elk 2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nice shots. I REALLY like that first one. In that situation I'd have been at a loss for how to shoot it. Learned something today. Thanks.

3. Thanks Louie

Thanks. I know I could have gotten closer but I had a good spot where I could get most of the herd at a nice angle without spooking them. I wouldn't want to see what a hundred frightened Elk looked like. They go through enough during the migration without me stressing them out.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Very nice compositions.

5. now that is a lot of hamburgers, nice shots.

6. I once was lucky enough to see elk move down to the National Elk Elk Refuge outside Jackson Hole. Amazing site, especially at dusk. You captured them well.

7. Nice! What an interesting thing to see.

8. Thank You

They all got the memo that Elk season is over.

Thanks Nick. The Elk Refuge is Elk central this time of year.

It was definitely an odd place to see them. Not sure what made them change direction. Lots of Wolf activity lately so maybe that was it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.