Elk

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JamesMor, Jul 6, 2005.

1. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
  2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    And a handsome fellow he is Jim. Welcome again to the Cafe. I look forward to more posts, with great pictures and narratives. :wink:

3. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York

Hi Frank,

Thank you very much. I was very proud of him and he was a beautiful speciman. It was the first time I had ever been in the Elk Refuge during the winter, and I can say it was definitely a treat. I had written a small narrative on my experience over at NWP (I would post the link but my site is giving me one of those wonderful 'site not responding' messages) after I came from the Digital Wedding Forum conference in March.

I will post another link later from one of my elk shots from our last trip. For whatever reason, all of my valueweb accounts (my masterwork photography AND NWP site) appear to be having some minor difficulties at this moment. :(

-JM

4. Great closup portrait, welcome look forward to more of your posts

5. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    More from the archives. :)

Thank you very much for the compliments. Tight headshots has become something that I like to do. With Elk, normally I would attempt to get the full rack in the frame. I feel that in many cases I have lost the personality of the wildlife I are trying to photograph. The great thing about that last photograph, for me, was that it had shown an almost regal look to the elk.

The shot below is more typical of what I have been shooting for the last couple of years. In this case, he was scaring simple folks (aka idiots) who had gotten too close. :) Last year was my best year for elk.

http://www.masterworkphotography.com/PicsForShow/CRW_4501_BullElk_WestYell_w.jpg

-JM

6. Jim, I really like the close-up. :)

I agree that the tight head shot really shows off the personality if the beast.

Thanks for sharing.

7. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
  8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I really like that one Jim. Looks like he's telling the world who's boss. :lol:

Very sharp shot.

9. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    Thanks

He was one angry little puppy. It was at the peak of the rut, and he and another male went to do battle shortly thereafter. Unfortunately, they marched all the way to the back and into a glen to do battle.

It was amazing to hear :(

-JM

10. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I will be watching for your Yellowstone pictures. Can't wait to see more.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Jim,
    Great shots. Good facials on these.

Aslo look foward to the next installment of Bjorns interview.

Your interviews are great.

Now if I could only get signed into the sight. will try again. I like the forum alot.