Elmer Fudd and the Turkey

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Thos Quinn, Dec 17, 2005.

1. I looked out the back window of my office the other day and saw the darnedest thing. So I quickly threw on my 70-300ED, the longest lens I have or should I say "can currently afford" (are you listening Santa?). The truck was parked roughly 100 feet away from the back door and I got this shot from there. Drab overcast-sky lighting and crappy background but I wanted at least one shot.
    original.

As I crossed the footbridge over the small stream between my office and the parked truck, I stopped to get this shot just as the subject decided I was getting just a bit too close for comfort. Again, crappy lighting and background (not to mention framing), but what the hey.
    original.

The hen turkey flew down a few yards and we started playing a 15-minute game of "peek-a-boo" around the other parked vehicles. I started to feel a bit like Elmer Fudd chasing that "wascally wabbit" when she outflanked me and headed back across the footbridge toward my office.
    original.

She went over to a patch of oak trees next to my office and I took the opportunity to run in and grab my flash (SB-800) to throw a little light on the subject (so to speak). Now in full Elmer Fudd mode, I played a rousing game of "ring around the rosey (oaks)" managing many shots of the "wascally turkey" tauntingly peeking around the trees. This is the best I was able to get before she flew off in a true Christmas spirit "laughing all the way". This and the above images recieved "quick and dirty" curves adjustments and sharpening.
    original.

So last night I applied some intense PSCS2 treatment to that best shot of my first wild turkey shoot. Here it is in all its glory:
    original.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2005
  2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    This is absolutely hilarious....:>))))

I'll almost bet you were laughing at the end.

Very good, pics are fine
    Thanks for sharing a day with the wild.

3. Im with gale, hilarious! loved em

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Now that I think of it, I would have loved to be photographing the antics of the photog on this one.

peek-a-boo and around and around...lolol

Great story and pics.

5. Yes Gail, I was laughing but I was also looking over my shoulder to see if anyone (like you) was watching. But hey, I'm not too proud to play the fool if that's what it takes to get the shot. At least I wasn't chasing a roadrunner and didn't order anything from ACME:smile:

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOL

Well I will have to say it would be difficult not to photograph the Turkey also... :>)))

7. Hey! I resemble that remark:mad:

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    LOLOL

Glad you have a good sence of humor.

9. Maybe Santa will bring you that ACME 525mm ED VR AFS Super Duper lens for Christmas! :biggrin:

Cute series.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wait a Minute..
    Was that an ACME turkey ...

rofl.

11. Had a big smile reading your captions and looking at your images. Fun series.