1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Email oddity.....

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Butlerkid, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Everyone seems to be getting email I send out except for one person. They've always received my emails for years and to my knowledge nothing has changed recently.

Now when I send her an email, I get this postmaster undelievered message:

"Your message wasn't delivered. Despite repeated attempts to deliver your message, a connection to the remote server couldn't be made.

Contact the recipient by some other means (by phone, for example) and ask them to tell their email admin that it appears that your email system is unable to connecto their email system. Give them the error details shown below. It's likely that the recipient's email admin is the only one who can fix this problem.

For more information and tips to fix this issue see this article: Fix email delivery issues for error code 4.4.7 in Office 365."

It appears the problem is at their end, since my other recipients get emails from me. Any idea how to fix this? We use Charter and their email is on Comcast.

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Depends on where the recipient is. The Northeast has been hammered the last 10 days with storms. Power is still out and Comcast is less than capable when it comes to restoring it's services. It sounds like Comcast service to the recipient may be out. The central server is trying to send, but it's not seeing anything on the other end.

3. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks. The problem started Saturday.

The recipients are about 60 miles away from us......in Knoxville, Tn.

4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Is Outlook in Office 365? I've tried to always avoid using Office 365. I'll ask my friends if they use it..............

5. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Yes. Presumably you are using Outlook as your email program if you got that message. Otherwise, what email program are you using?

But this is irrelevant. You can't fix it, it is their problem. You could help them by phoning them and telling them their email service is broken. You could suggest they could open a gmail account and use that.

6. From Microsoft press release last year at this time:
    "Microsoft says there are now 60 million monthly active Office 365 commercial customers and that it has seen 50,000 small business customers added to Office 365 each month."

Works good for me. Thunderbird just could not handle my 8 email addresses and heavy business mail load. Lockups, long delays and hangs trying to clean-up, etc.

7. Growltiger

The numbers sound impressive but there are over 1000 million active gmail users.

8. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    We have used Outlook for years....but do NOT have Office 365. And my friends say they don't have Office 365 either.....

I have contacted them. But they don't know what to do and say that they are getting emails from others....just not from us. Should they contact Comcast?

9. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    Looking at Comcast's outage map for 3/12 Knoxville might be under the red cloud for an outage. "Might be under" was used because I'm not sure where it is, and their outage cloud is not very well defined.

Problems at Comcast | Down Detector

10. Growltiger

Ignore the reference to Office 365. Microsoft like to think that everyone will use it instead of paying once. But the text of the error message is correct.

Yes, your friends could try contacting Comcast, assuming that is their provider.

Or even simpler, wait for a day or so and it will probably start working. (If it is really urgent, get them to open a gmail account as I suggested.)

11. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Rick. But they say they are getting emails....just not from us.

12. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Richard. Hopefully time will be the cure! LOL!

13. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    How big are your emails? Did someone put a spam filter in place? i had that happen once with a friend on AT&T.

14. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Usually just simple emails with maybe a link or cartoon....many times just short texts. Very seldom is there an attachment.

15. I have a friend who suddenly stopped getting emails from me unless the string of emails was originated by them. They had no other problems. I had no other problems. Everything finally began working properly. No explanation why it stopped or resumed.

16. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thanks, Mike. When I reply to an email they initiated, they still don't get the response. Weird............!

17. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Do they have you in their address book? IIRC a long time ago somewhere I dealt with requested that their info be added to my address book. Once I did that, the e-mails came through fine.

18. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I assume so, as they've been getting my emails for quite a few years. I'll ask.

19. Just out of curiosity, Karen, could you try sending them an email using a different email client (someone mentioned Thunderbird for example) or send them one using your ISP's web interface?

It's admittedly less convenient, but it would be something to try...

20. Growltiger

Better to use a gmail account. It only takes 5 minutes to set one up. The email will then come from a different IP address to yours.

You should ask them to check their spam folder/system. I think you mentioned sending a cartoon - that could have had you tagged as a spammer and even blacklisted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.