Emergency help needed!!!

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by phecksel, Jun 17, 2007.

1. So much for my fail safe plan...if the computer at the head of the pack fails

Main computer, Abit IS7-M Pentium 4 2.8G 1G 120/160/750 ext, using on board graphics and networking absolutely refuses to boot or anything. Power supply appears to be working, power and hard drive lights are lit steady. MB has a green and red light on simultaneous, no beeps, no flashing lights. CPU and box fan are both operating.

Abit's site appears to be down...are they still in business? Any clue is to where to start diagnosis? Systems been rebooting almost nightly, wasn't sure why, but that led to the feeling of needing to increase my backup capability.

Recommended replacement?
    Computer is used for amateur photo processing and storage, general household uses, every other computer in the house is backed up to it. Main printer is attached to it. No real heavy usage, and it has been adequate, until I started doing photos. It has also been rock solid performer for three+ years.

I don't think this is the appropriate time to be buying a mac...was seriously thinking about it with my next upgrade, but it's going to have to be planned.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just me ...But the first thing I do when all else fails is to unplug everything, except keyboard , mouse and video.
    See if it will boot.
    Turn off all power to start and let set for a few minutes and try it
    Then go from there

Get ahold of Patrick.. He can help you also

3. First thing I would do is shut it down and unplug the box ( remove power cord ) for 10-15 min. Then reconnect and see if she'll boot. IS your monitor displaying anything?

Next I'd disconnect the hard drives and see if it will start up and give you a disk not found error. Perhaps reset the cmos ( usually done by moving a jumper on the MB for a few seconds with the battery out, then replacing the jumper to it's original position along with the cmos battery and trying to reboot . let me see if I can dig up info on your mobo and get back to you.

4. Thank you gale...looks like my problem might be a bit more serious. It was your advice that made me take a harder look at the MB. The fan on the memory controller has physically broken off. Looks like a new MB, question is, do I stay with socket 478, or do I go to a new processor????

5. Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  6. ahh... check out package deals then, see what you can find and how much ram you can get for what price. Good luck.

7. You'd probably get a better deal on a mobo/cpu combo than trying to locate a 478 board (they are out there though). 775 basically replaced the 478.

Also get a video card and dont use onboard graphics.

BTW I'm still using a Socket A AMD2100+ that I built in 2002. Contrary to what a friend says (that you need a 3Ghz+ with all the doo-dads), I can still edit video and photos without a hitch.

8. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    Get an intel MAC and run Parallel. That should last you a very long time. :biggrin:

9. Paul Alexy

Paul Alexy

Apr 17, 2007
    Wisconsin
    The Core2Duo chips are going to be faster than the older 478 chips. I agree with the idea of getting a separate video card. Onboard video takes both system memory and cpu clocks that could be doing other things.

10. Update

Only this mechanical engineer can fix a computer board, LOL

The retaining ring that came off, fit right back into the holes on the board and I was able to resolder back in place, making sure the ring was plenty hot enough. It worked and back in business with no costs!

Mac is on the long term plans, but have neither the time nor money to throw at it right now.

Thank you for everybody's help with this, never expected the final solution!

11. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    WOW! Good job, glad you were able to fix it.

12. Years ago I had a dot matrix printer that quit working. I got this ingenious idea to put my voltmeter on it and noticed the volts going up and down. This sometimes dense mechanical engineer said to himself, shouldn't that be a steady DC number??? So I go looking for the leaking electrons. Always had problems with imaginary numbers... Actually found some under a huge big round thingy. Wrote the numbers on a piece of paper and took them to radio shack. They had one in a bag of parts. Desoldered the part leaking electrons and soldered the new one in. To this day, still amazed I fixed that printer.