EMERGENCY - memory card is dead

I spent the entire day shooting today. Had an 8gb card in my D700. Misty, rainy wet day. Kept the camera dry though.

There were about 20 pictures left on the card when I was done shooting - for those of you counting, that's about 350 photos on the card. The camera was off for a while, and when I went to put it away, the display said "CHA" I tried it in the D300, which was in my car all day, and got the same response.

I just put the card in my card reader on my Mac, and it didn't even register that the card was there. I changed cards once during the day, and this is the one I put in...

I have it in a container with rice right now, hoping that maybe it's just damp or something??? Do I have a chance of recovering my images? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle

Maybe it is the reader? Did you check another card in the reader?

Sandisk and Lexar cards come with recovery software (either a link or disc). And there are several other programs out there. But, I think in all cases the card needs to be seen.

Neither camera will read it, and I only have the one reader. I just downloaded from another card, so the reader is functioning.

I'm afraid to put another card in my camera either... because if it's the camera that caused it, I'm going to have a heart attack.

Ok, I'm willing to try about anything. But the problem is that the card isn't showing up on any computer - or in my cameras. Once it reads I don't know if it will let me get the images, but I need it to read first.

Downloading now...

Michelle,
Are you certain you haven't bent a pin inside the camera body? I would say to put the card back in the camera, format it and see if that helps. Hopefully with Rescue Pro, you can recover the photos.

guys if the card is fried if the PC don't see it the camera wont ether. so recovery software is moot unless the pc knows the card is there

check the card to make sure a pin didn't break off from the camera

under windows admin tools then storage scan for new disk,

if that don't work in the device manager scan for new hard ware

if that dont work contact a recovery service. if you lucky the interface burnt out but your pistures are still safe in the memory chips

No pins are stuck in the card that I can see.

I tried both scans, with no results.

Recovery service is not an option, I can't justify hundreds of dollars for pictures I took at a picnic... no matter how much I want them. But from what I've read online, it seems that once this starts it tends to repeat. Has anyone found this to be true?

I tried this method with no luck.

what brand card? sandisk has really good cards as seen on digital rev on youtube when they did the water test on memory cards and after a week of being soaked in water it was still readable so i doubt it has anything to do with the dampness of it.

Real Name
Rodney
When I insert a known good card and get the CHA, I take it out blow into the holds with a strong poof and usually I am good to go. Try that.

Kingston Elite Pro 8gb 133x

I think I found your problem! It seems Kingston cards are hit or miss in Nikon bodies. Sandisk and Lexar are a much better choice for reliability.

As for your present problem I would try blasting the pin sockets of the card with compressed air in hope of dislodging any foreign material preventing contact. If that don't work, try a couple drops of alcohol on the pins and blast with compressed air. This will dissolve and remove any residue. If this doesn't work you might be SOL.:frown:

I tried the air, no luck. I looked inside the holes and they all appear to be empty, I don't see anything stuck in there.

Ok, is it true that if I re-format the card I'll be able to get the pictures back? If not all of them, some of them? The cameras see the card, so I'm one step ahead there. The computers don't see it.

If the camera sees the card, then use the USB cord into the camera to get the images.

the 700 (or the 300, my other CF camera) does not have a connect to computer option, but the camera only sees the card to tell me "CHA" the reader doesn't see it at all.

Real Name
Rodney
Oh, CHA is not the same as seeing the card to retrieve images. Sounds like you've tried all there is, except a different reader, or did you try that?

Real Name
Rodney
Well, if they aren't being read by the reader and the camera, odds are another reader won't work either,

*sigh* not what I wanted to hear...

I'm going to go to bed and see if it wants to be more cooperative in the morning.

And it figures, I have TWO of those cards and they are less than three months old. Back to my SanDisk I guess. I have a wedding coming up and I can't deal with the thought of this happening again!

Latest threads

Top Bottom