Empire State Building 360 Panorama

Empire State Building 360 Panorama

My post processing protocols have changed over the years so it was time to redo one of my most difficult panoramas.

Below is a 360 panorama taken from the observation deck of the Empire State building back in 2007. It is the only panorama I have taken that involved shooting from multiple locations as oppose to photographing a series of frames from a fixed standpoint.

Basically I walked around the 4 sides of the deck and shot a series of hand held frames and then stitched them with PTgui. In this image, I duplicated the north view point so one can easily see the landscape transitions of north, south, east, and west.

Nikon D200, nikkor 12-24, 31 frame panorama
large.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

http://www.pbase.com/rfcd100/image/83570311/original.jpg

Robert what a fantastic shot....also very cool to see what NYC looks like from all sides....oh my gosh the size is just staggering to me, and we are a pop. of a million here in Calgary.
Thanks very much for sharing your redo and for your cool explanation.
Barb

C

cbotnyse

that is awesome. you might have inspired me to try this in Chicago from the Sears skydeck.

great job

Fantastic..

I did a crop and re-sized it down a bit (5040 x 1050) to fit my monitors and it is now my background.

Thanks Robert.. great pic.

You should start a multi-monitor pano section on your website. (hint hint) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Magnificent!!!! So Sharp!!

Thanks Shtarka for the kind words. One so these days I need to go up their during the cold winter months. The skies are so crystal that time of year.
Thats is Fantastic! You always amaze me with your Panos :smile:

Thanks Scottn for the kind compliment. Panos are my addiction :)

Robert what a fantastic shot....also very cool to see what NYC looks like from all sides....oh my gosh the size is just staggering to me, and we are a pop. of a million here in Calgary.
Thanks very much for sharing your redo and for your cool explanation.
Barb

Hi Maraya,
Thanks as always. NYC is a city of glass and cement :)

that is awesome. you might have inspired me to try this in Chicago from the Sears skydeck.

great job

Thanks Cboynyse,

Hope you make it to the Sears skydeck. I would love to see the imagery :)

Absolutely fantastic!

The first thing that crossed my mind was the idea of trying something like this from the skydeck. But, I should probably go with a simpler subject for my first pano!

Glenn

Thanks Gnagel. With all the top of line glass and equipment you own, I would love to see some panoramas from your artistic eye :)

Wonderful photo. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Lmatney :)
Fantastic..

I did a crop and re-sized it down a bit (5040 x 1050) to fit my monitors and it is now my background.

Thanks Robert.. great pic.

You should start a multi-monitor pano section on your website. (hint hint) :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LOL Willadw, I am still using a single 24. Dual 30s does sound interesting :)

Superb image and view. When I was in NYC I refused to pay the high cost they were claiming to allow the visit to the top of the ESB. Nw, I am starting to regret that....
Thanks for bringing me this wonderful view... for free:smile:

Rui

D300, D200 coupled with a bunch of some fine Nikon:smile: glass

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

Wonderful, Robert. I had already seen the previous version on your website and the redo doesn't fail to amaze me again.

Wow ! This is just exquisite and shows one or two changes from my visit in 2006 !

Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Hope you are having a great summer. Actually, there are even more changes to the midtown skyline since this shot. I really need to pay the ESB another visit :)

Excellent!
Thanks AlexF

Thank you DavidBickle

Fantastic to see back in 2007 and just as fantastic to see now!! Perhaps time to go up there and do it again. :)

I think I'll have to make a trip up there as well.
Thanks Leung. Yes I will have to brave the lines once again to take in the view :)
Superb image and view. When I was in NYC I refused to pay the high cost they were claiming to allow the visit to the top of the ESB. Nw, I am starting to regret that....
Thanks for bringing me this wonderful view... for free:smile:

Hi Rui,

Thanks as always for the kind words. The admission is still around 20 dollars which is actually a bargain considering the cost of other things in the city. Last night I had to pay 45 dollars just to park my car for a few hours in midtown !

Quite an undertaking. Well done and quite impressive, thanks for sharing.
Thank you Robkipp

Wonderful, Robert. I had already seen the previous version on your website and the redo doesn't fail to amaze me again.
Hi Klaus,

The big difference in the new version is my taste in WB have changed over the years. The previous version was warmer and perhaps over sharpened

Marvellous! - that's it.... Marvellous. Love the idea of repeating the North view...

Thank you IanT

Latest threads

Top Bottom