Enabling Mirror lockup for cleaning?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Steve S, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    In the Setup menu, the Mirror Lockup command needed for cleaning is greyed out. How do I enable it? I want to clean my low pass filter on my D3.

2. It may only appear if you have a fully charged battery (more than 60%) or you have the AC adapter plugged in. (Manual page 395)

Ronnie

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Yep!

You're the man Ronnie! Thanks! My Battery level was at 40%. Put fresh one in and now can make that selection.

4. this is me

this is me

Feb 10, 2007
    MA
    You still can do it by setting the camera to M and set the shutter speed to 30". You just have to remember that you have 30" before the shutter clap. Bad things can happen when you have something on the sensor and the shutter claps....

5. amazing how this gets by most users...

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    wouldn't setting the shutter to Bulb be a better choice over the 30 sec deal?

7. I would suggest the best method is using a charged battery (or AC) and doing it the proper way - using the MUP for Cleaning as originally planned.

I don't really like the idea of having the camera on in a picture taking mode, and whatever electrical charges swirling, and opening the mirror. Seems, to me, that it would attract dust and other particles at a far greater clip than having the camera anticipating a cleaning and somewhat powered down.

But thats my reasoning (perhaps faulty) without an EE degree...