Encounter with a double-crested cormorant

Discussion in 'Birds' started by daodang, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Last sunday, while doing some macro shooting in Montreal botanical gardens, I ran into this immature double-crested cormorant standing near a lake in the middle of the gardens. He's so cool, waiting calmly while I set up my gear for shooting.

Shot with a Tamron 180mm macro (the 70-200mm was sleeping quietly at home :frown: ).

2. Thanks for sharing these beautiful image Dao. I like Cormorants.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well done Dao. I know for experience that macro lenses don't have the fastest AF systems in the world. You did very well to get these with that lens. You also did a great job of exposing this guy. Not easy with that dark coat. :wink:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dao,
    I think that was quite nice of the bird to pose for you. Well done.

You do a great job of exposure and understand it well.

5. GORDON, a warm thank for you kind words, my friend.

FRANK, the Tamron AF is really a pain. Just after the #1, the cormorant spread its wings (to dry it, I suppose). I was on AF and it begins to wander. So I miss the shot. After that, I switched to MF but the guy didn't spread its wings anymore.

GALE, I must admit I just begin to «understand» how to choose the «right» exposure mode for a shooting situation with the D100 and how to use EV compensation properly for each exposure mode. Ron's E-book helps me a lot in this area.

6. these are marvelous images Dao. As stated above the exposure is perfect and the series of the bird preening is a delight. Sometimes working outside of our comfort zone is a good learning experience. (i expect the 70-200 needed the nap)
    Dave

7. Hi Dave, you're right about a good learning experience. With this serie, I had to put in pratice the zone focus on the bird head and now I know how to do it properly (I'm very slow with MF). The 70-200 was taking a nap since its user was too lazy to carry an extra weight in his bag. :cool: