Encounter with a double-crested cormorant

Discussion in 'Birds' started by daodang, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Last sunday, while doing some macro shooting in Montreal botanical gardens, I ran into this immature double-crested cormorant standing near a lake in the middle of the gardens. He's so cool, waiting calmly while I set up my gear for shooting.

Shot with a Tamron 180mm macro (the 70-200mm was sleeping quietly at home :frown: ).

2. Thanks for sharing these beautiful image Dao. I like Cormorants.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very well done Dao. I know for experience that macro lenses don't have the fastest AF systems in the world. You did very well to get these with that lens. You also did a great job of exposing this guy. Not easy with that dark coat. :wink:

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Dao,
    I think that was quite nice of the bird to pose for you. Well done.

You do a great job of exposure and understand it well.

5. GORDON, a warm thank for you kind words, my friend.

FRANK, the Tamron AF is really a pain. Just after the #1, the cormorant spread its wings (to dry it, I suppose). I was on AF and it begins to wander. So I miss the shot. After that, I switched to MF but the guy didn't spread its wings anymore.

GALE, I must admit I just begin to «understand» how to choose the «right» exposure mode for a shooting situation with the D100 and how to use EV compensation properly for each exposure mode. Ron's E-book helps me a lot in this area.

6. these are marvelous images Dao. As stated above the exposure is perfect and the series of the bird preening is a delight. Sometimes working outside of our comfort zone is a good learning experience. (i expect the 70-200 needed the nap)
    Dave

7. Hi Dave, you're right about a good learning experience. With this serie, I had to put in pratice the zone focus on the bird head and now I know how to do it properly (I'm very slow with MF). The 70-200 was taking a nap since its user was too lazy to carry an extra weight in his bag. :cool: 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.