Critique End of the day on the mountain

I've been on vacation so I've been up the mountain quite a bit over the past few weeks and each time I'm up there there's always something interesting to shoot.

#1 - After a recent trip up with my wife (no chance to take pics on that visit), the light was pretty impressive and I happened to be walking down to one of my favorite subjects up there (great old tree you'll see in a bit), and the setting sun illuminating the brush up there was just amazing. I wanted to capture it on my next visit so when I went up again, I had a plan. Needless to say it's a really challenging image to capture with a ton of dynamic range. Here's my best attempt at capturing that:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

#2 - My original intention was to create a black and white with this next one, but it didn't have the punch that I wanted, and the color of the setting sun on the rocks was too compelling for me to get rid of, but who knows, maybe I'll play with it a bit more:

#3 - I wanted to capture some people in this next one to help give the shot some scale:

#4 - The afore mentioned old tree that is a favorite subject of mine up there:

As always, CC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like you, I like people in many of my landscape shots. These are all very good. How was #4 lit?
Thanks. Certain shots just benefit from the sense of scale that including a person (or some other commonly relatable object) provides. As for the 4th shot. It never hurts to have your iPhone handy. I used it to light paint the tree. I moved it around quite a bit to make sure there were no shadows that were too hard. That was shot at 14mm so I was actually really close to the tree for the photo.

Dave

In addition to the other comments and question, I really like the flare in the third one.
Mike,

Thanks. On the first shot I worked really hard to make sure there wasn't too much flare. That one was not only and HDR bracketed set, but I actually angled the camera in 3 different directions (so three different bracketed sets) to move the flare around so I could selectively remove it easily later. When I was processing the third photo though, the flare just kind of worked for me so I left it in.

Dave

Best use of an iPhone yet. And that explains the light temperature!
Yeah, the color temp was way off originally. I had to significantly warm it up selectively on the tree, but I didn't want to make it too warm since, you know, night-time and all.

Thanks,

Dave

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom