End of the line for Chelsea

We found out Wednesday that our 14 year old sheltie needs to be put to sleep - cancer is spreading through her. We brought her home to have a good weekend with her before we bring her back to the vet on Monday. She is going into other rooms, however, she seems to want to be by herself. She does perk up on walks - I will take her on a forest walk tomorrow.

I brought her outside this evening for a quick photo:
chelsea558.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
:

I'm so sorry to hear about this. Pets really become a part of the family. It's nice that you have some photos of her as a remembrance.

We have a dog and a cat that we got at the same time 12 years ago. We may be facing this before too long.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Sorry to hear this, Allan. We've been through this a number of times and it's always hard to say goodbye to an old friend, but you reach a point when you know that the kindest thing is to let them go. I know this weekend will be bittersweet. Lovely picture of Chelsea.

Emotional times, my friend. We humans are charged with a great responsibility in terms of our animal companions - and that responsibility can be ever so difficult at times like this.

I recently walked this path, still getting over it. Sometimes it takes what seems forever.

You and your dog will be in my thoughts. Your memories are forever and your life is the better for having Chelsea in your life and she for having you.

I'm really so sorry you have to go through this - if only they could last forever.

Be brave, Allan, and Godspeed to Chelsea.

Feels like your guts have been ripped out, doesn't it... I'm so very sorry to hear your news; I'm glad she has an owner that is bringing her home to be happy in the interim. Kudos to you.

We are waiting on news about our cat, as we speak.

All the best
Todd

Heartbreaking Allan. My very best wishes to you and yours as you are dealing with this.
I hope that you are consoled by the fact that you had her with you for many years. Cherish the memories.

Allan, I''m so sorry. I love dogs and it's especially sad when their time comes. What a noble animal. You can have the lousiest day and everyone can be down on you but when you come home and that old faithful mutt sees you he/she acts like your their greatest hero. There's nothing like that, is there? You've made the right decision, she shouldn't suffer that much pain.

Rich

My thoughts are with you and your family, Allan. It's a very difficult time, and you're being the best owner a dog could have. The weather is supposed to be pretty good this weekend, so she'll have lots to sniff in the forest.

Wow , I really didn't expect such a thread when I read the title. I can only begin to imagine your pain ... My cat is around 10 years old now, and sometimes I think about what it will be like when he's not around to come and greet me when I come back to my parents' house :frown:

Some things are really too tough in life ...

I'm sorry to hear the news - it's always so hard to say goodbye to our beloved pets. Thanks for sharing the picture, and I hope you are able to have a special weekend before saying goodbye.

Sorry to hear that Allan, it 's tough saying goodbye to a pet after having her for so long.:Sad: :Sad:

After we made the decision I waffled a bit, thinking perhaps we could keep her alive a bit longer. But, when I thought about her decline, I knew I was just being selfish. Chelsea is about the sweetest dog one could imagine - but then again, many of you feel that way about your dog too.

The house will seem empty when I get home from work on Monday.

I had to put my bull terrier to sleep six years ago and the kids and I still talk about her. What a profound influence our pets have on our lives. Will you get another dog?

Haze

Allan,

Wow.... having gone through this not long ago, I know it's one of the hardest things you ever have to do as a 'fur' parent.... my thoughts are with you... Time does heal the broken heart though.

I had to put my bull terrier to sleep six years ago and the kids and I still talk about her. What a profound influence our pets have on our lives. Will you get another dog?

Haze

While it may seem disloyal I am looking already. I used to be a serious runner and Chelsea was a good running companion. She could do 10-14 miles with me when we were young.

Now, I am approaching retirement in June, I want a little companion to be home with me - while my wife is at work (she has another year to go.) So I am looking at a Shih Tzu. A young, energetic puppy will keep me on my toes. I hope I still have what it takes to house break one. :)

Real Name
Tony Saya
To say the least pets become a part of our life my prayers go out to you and your family

Latest threads

Top Bottom