Engagement Photos (Informal) - 1st Time

We were at an engagement party for our niece recently when I was asked to take a few photos late in the evening. I really didn't have much time to prepare as the sun was setting and thus just started shooting. These were shot in one location in about 10 minutes time. This was my first time doing portraiture.

The groom-to-be is typically not seen without a hat on. It's just who he is which is why he wore it for these photos and why I labeled the heading "Informal".

I used my D300 w/ Nikon 70-200VR, hand-held. Photos PP'd in Capture NX2 with Nik Efex. Also used Photoshop w/ Nik Silver Efex 2.

I think they turned out okay for my first time, but I'm really more interested in any comments and critique you may have. Thanks for viewing! :smile:

Nice series.

I think for shots 1 and 2 you should have used a smaller aperture. The guy seems to be slightly out of focus (unless of course thats what you were going for) otherwise its a nice shot.

First of all good job. You were put on the spot yet you delivered the goods!

Next time try to avoid putting your subjects in direct sunlight. Finding a shady spot or choosing to shoot in overcast conditions is ideal but sometime you find yourself having to shoot in direct sunlight. When you do, turn your subjects around and shoot with the sun at their backs. Then use flash, or even better a reflector, to light their faces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice series.

I think for shots 1 and 2 you should have used a smaller aperture. The guy seems to be slightly out of focus (unless of course thats what you were going for) otherwise its a nice shot.
Thanks, Gav. You are right, in the second photo the guy was a bit behind the girl and thus slightly out of focus for f2.8.

First of all good job. You were put on the spot yet you delivered the goods!

Next time try to avoid putting your subjects in direct sunlight. Finding a shady spot or choosing to shoot in overcast conditions is ideal but sometime you find yourself having to shoot in direct sunlight. When you do, turn your subjects around and shoot with the sun at their backs. Then use flash, or even better a reflector, to light their faces.
Thanks for the tip, Scott. I appreciate it.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom