Engagement photos question...

I

iLLMaCK

How many do you guys normally, or would you, edit/upload for the couple if you only charged them $50 to just cover your costs for gas...

Girl is angry with me b/c I only did 30 pictures.

I

iLLMaCK

$50.00?
you only charged them $50.00...?

what was your PRIOR AGREEMENT?
what did you discuss before you shot?
Did her a favor, a friend. used to work with her.
I just told them to act in love, touchy, etc. They picked a church & park in the shade w/ bright sky/sun @ 11am

how many pictures did she think you'd do for $50.00?
did she think you'd shoot 250... then go home and post-process them for hours and give her a CD-ROM?

I

iLLMaCK

well.....
how good of a friend IS/WAS she?
my point...
you did plenty for her
if she were expecting more for FREE, essentially... then, she is a bit presumptuous, i'd say
Not that great of a friend.
I feel like I did a very good job for $50

are these 30 useable pictures? As in, 30 good images to choose between for their prints?
Yes, I mean there might be some more that I'll look through and see what's useable just to please her, but any of the 30 they can print.

These aren't just 30 pictures I took, these are the best of the best. Edited to each of their styles, etc.

Tell her if she's not happy, she can go pay a much larger figure to another shooter. When she gets an idea of what most people charge for sitting fees and portrait sessions, see if she doesn't change her tune.

Sean

Not that great of a friend.
I feel like I did a very good job for $50

Yes, I mean there might be some more that I'll look through and see what's useable just to please her, but any of the 30 they can print.

These aren't just 30 pictures I took, these are the best of the best. Edited to each of their styles, etc.

right....hmm, in that case I'm not sure why she's complaining really. I shoot a session for a little bit more than you do, and usually show between 30-50 photos as well. It's very common in the portrait world, to my knowledge.

Maybe you should explain to her that you do pick out the best from the shoot, and maybe see if there's a few more just to please her like you said.

At one session I had 1 year old twins which was just not in the mood and I only got about 25 pictures to show the mom. She wasn't too happy about it, but I cropped some of the photos I was already showing, into some head-shots and that pleased her. lol

I find it a bit fascinating that some people get hung up on the number of images they can look at after a session/wedding. After all, people don't order 25 8x10's to hang on their walls; especially from an engagement session...

I'm asked quite frequently when doing a wedding consultations about how many photos they can expect. I am frank with them and tell them it all depends on how drunk you are, how the weather is if it's an outdoor wedding, how much time I'm allotted, etc. People usually understand after that. (I do have a "wedding from heck" story to use as an example so that helps...)

I think 30 "best of the best" images from an engagement session is more then adequate. And $50.00 is a sweetheart of a deal for them.

I would personally just give her the rest of the pictures unedited but there are many dedicated photographers that wouldn't dream of doing that - they would rather run at a loss and give outstanding pictures to keep a good name and get good referrals than give out 'bad' pictures .
If you are starting out and want to move ahead quickly it may be worth your while editing more pictures at your expense[ time-wise] to get a good name and some referrals .

I think she is being an idiot.

Well.. unless there were some specific shots she told you that she wanted (before the shoot) that ended up not being in the 30. That's really the only reason I could see for her to be upset. Otherwise, go with Sean's idea and send her on her way to check out other prices. She'll be happy with the 30 then I'm sure. =]

I

iLLMaCK

They had no idea what poses they wanted, they said they'd do what I asked.
The one shot she mentioned was unexpected to me and he picked her up on a small bridge and acted like he was going to drop her. I didnt catch it until the last possible second ( I was looking at the lcd while walking) and I snapped as quick as I could, didn't work out.

But, nothing was discussed as far as what they wanted that they didn't get.

For $50 I would be delighted to get 10 shots :Angry:

What is the going rate for something like this? Did you give her all 30 or just an option to buy them from you?

Jonny

I

iLLMaCK

I have it set so she can right click save as, not the largest file size I have but enough to use for anything other then printing. I told her to figure out what picture she wanted to print and I'd up the file size for it. Or she can buy it through me, which I doubt she will or would have to begin with.

The going rate for 30 shots is much more than $50. SOme people just don't get it. Tell her tough. It is what it is. I know plenty of photogs (myself included) who don't even snap a photo for ten times that much.

I charge $50 just to book a session. When I do my presentation session I show about 30 distinct images and I do variations (color, B&W, Sepia etc) for a total of about 50 shots.

Dan

Latest threads

Top Bottom