Engagement Pictures - Vickie and Ira

Discussion in 'People' started by Dacali, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Dacali

Dacali

Aug 30, 2007
    Texas
    I'm considering becoming a freelance photographer on the weekends so I'm starting to build up a portfolio. I'm just looking for critiques on these photographs!

2703833627_5f8d87041b_b.

2704654668_4ab2f4c664_b.

2703828961_e90fc466f8_b.

2704659564_66669109a2_b.

2703831375_edc4d51fb3_b.

2704658310_ae8f459d4d_b.

The full set can be seen here.

Thanks!
    Dan

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  2. nice shots, dan
    i would like to see larger versions, if possible
    i like #1 the most
    though, i still think a tighter crop would be more pleasing to the eye... i might not think so if i could see a larger version

good luck to you
    thanks for sharing these with us

3. bradNYC

bradNYC

Mar 28, 2008
    NYC
    I like them a lot, the last one is my favorite and the 3rd one is the funniest!

4. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    Nice shots! I like No5 the bestest!

5. Dacali

Dacali

Aug 30, 2007
    Texas
    Thank you for the comments!

Greg, I posted up larger versions of all of the images. It looks like my focus is a bit off in the 4th shot! Yikes!

Dan

6. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    please note that I am a novice, so take my advice/c/c accordingly...

I think you're off to a pretty good start

a few things though
    #1 I think would be better with tighter crop...although that red wall is cool, it is not the focus of this photograph, the people are kind of lost in it, IMO
    #2 maybe consider some teeth whitening in PP to make the pics more flattering
    #4 the people seem a little soft to me, I love the idea of the pic though

I think you did a pretty good job exposing the lighter skin tones and the white shirts

looking forward to seeing more

7. The red wall says "love" but so does the couple!

8. augustai

augustai

Mar 18, 2008
    Singapore
    Nice photos. The couple looks very relaxed and happy. I guess the difficult part in portraits is making the subjects very relax in front of your camera.

With my limited experience, I just feel that #4 and #6 background is a tad distracting. The rest are nice because they carry over a relaxed and simple feeling to the photos.

9. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    I love #3 - fun.

10. Thaddeus

Thaddeus

Jul 24, 2008
    TX
    i recognize that wall :)  downtown mckinney?? great shots, btw!

11. Dan,
    yes, larger pic,better!
    #1, very nice but you should crop to just next to them. WAY less of the wall. Pix are about them!
    #2 Pale skin + white shirts = bad
    Also the old saying, never wear anything whiter than your teeth applies here in this pic. another reason not to wear white.
    If you have the ability in photoshop, I'm sure the young lady would appreciate a bit of whitening. after all, its about happy clients referring you to others right!
    #3 Great. really cute and playful. Made me smile.
    #4 Love the B&W but obviously OOF.
    #5.. her expression. don't show her that one.
    #6 love it.

remember there's nothing more picky than a Bride to be!
    Good luck with your endeavor, keep posting Large!

12. The following is only my opinion so take it with a grain of salt - or two.

Agree with comments above.
    Very nice compositions, lots of emotion, life, interest.

However, IMO, 2,3 & 5 are over-exposed and under-saturated and this takes away from the romance of them.

As a test, I took one image and, on a separate layer using levels command, changed the midpoint to increase the darker tones a little. Then increased the contrast a bit. The man's face and shirt looked better but the woman's face had gotten a little dark so I masked out her face a little using a 20% black, soft-edge brush and let the lighter bottom layer show through some.

The face tones matched pretty well, then I added a vignette to the corners to center viewer's focus on the people.

This would all work better on a full-res image but this example shows reasonably well how changing mid-point will increase impact (I think)

layersdr1.

coupleid5.

Hope this is of some interest.

Lew

13. BTW, the clip of the layers palette isn't really how I work because I do everything with adjustment layers but I collapsed the 7 or 8 layers into two to make the visualization easier.

14. KG72

KG72 Guest

Looks like a fun couple!

15. Dacali

Dacali

Aug 30, 2007
    Texas
    Yup. That's downtown McKinney. :) 

Thank for the suggestions everyone! I'll toss the images into Photoshop and do another round of editing and re-post in a few days. :)  So far, I've only done a few tweaks in ACR.

The two candids with the distracting background were with my 18-200 so dealing with depth of field was a bit of an issue. My 80-200 finally arrived though so I'm looking forward to trying similar shots down the road!

I'll double check the exposure on a calibrated monitor what I get the chance. Mine's a bit on the dark and warm side, and I haven't color corrected it yet. The red and orange channel was actually desaturated in a few of the pictures to improve skin tone. We were in the hot Texas sun for about an hour and people were starting to turn a bit red from the heat! I'll have to mask and re-do those to keep the saturation on the rest of the image correct.

Thanks again everyone for your honesty!

Dan

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.