Engagement pictures

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Oct 16, 2005.

1. I took a set of pictures today for Kim and Jason's engagement announcement. It's a pay job, and, if isuccessful, I'll probably land their wedding next year. Here's a few samples. Critiques appreciated.

2. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    I think the shots came out fine, Frank. The second one might be the best of the lot. It looks a lot like the pro shots you see these days.

But couldn't ya do something about the dude's hair?
    What the heck is that? Axle grease?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  3. I tend to like 2, 5 and 6 the best.

3 is well done, but that look on his face is a little too groucho marx with the eyebrows up.

I would think you will get the wedding with no problem. They look like a happy couple.

Did you use the flash bracket and lumiquest for these?

4. My amateur eyes like the shots.
    I like the third and sixth.

I'm not a rocket surgeon...but...is this your 28-70?

These two shots have the "look what I got" look in their eyes.
    The third...he's proud of her. The sixth she's proud of him...I like the life in these.

Most importantly...what do THEY think of the shots.
    Technicaly...well lit...well balanced...aperture well applied to isolate them.

I don't know why, but I like them.

The sixth is my favorite...the ring...the water..the light...the gleam in their eyes...is she just a titch behind the focal region though? Very nice stuff.

To take Justice Potter Stewart horrifically out of context........ "I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced . . . but I know it when I see it . . . "

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2005
  5. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I bet they are happy with these

I like 1, 5, and 6 the best. Which ones do they like best? Since I just took the engagement photos of my daughter, I realize how much time they spend looking at every little detail in the pictures.

Congratulations on a job well done.

6. Thanks for the comments, John! Spiked hair seems to be fashionable with youngsters these days. Go figure :cool:. Our parents probably had the same reaction to our mutton chops 40 year ago :wink:.

7. I threw that in for fun, Ed. The groom had a "say cheese" smile throughout the session, and I kept trying to think of ways to get a natural look. For that particular shot, I urged the bride to grab his butt :biggrin:.

I used the lumiquest, but not the flash bracket. It was outdoors, so there wasn't a need to avoid shadows.

8. Yes, what else would I use :confused:. What prompted the question?

I hope the couple feels the same :smile:.

Yes, I used a pretty wide aperture, and didn't have enough DOF to nail her.

9. These are just rough edits, Terri. I haven't shown them to the couple yet.

That's why I'm taking my time submitting them, and soliciting critiques. Thanks for your help!

10. Nice shots. I like the last one the best.

The first two seem a little off to me. What bothers me (I think) is the angle at which these two were taken. I suspect you were a little low and the pictures look a little odd from that angle. Nobody else commented, so I may be wrong on this one.

11. I finished editing the pictures, came up with 7 finalists, and presented them to Kim & Jason. Here's the 3 that are in the running for their engagement photo.

I'll let you know which one they finally settle on.

Btw, they look better in print than they do online.

12. Frank those all look great. Of the 3 finalists I go with #2.

13. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Great shots! They will be looking forward to the wedding photos after such wonderful enagement shots....

14. Thanks, Matt and Ken!

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shots although I agree about the camera angle being a bit low on the first two from the original batch. Of the 3 finalists I like 1 and 3 the best (gotta show the engagement ring) with 1 just edging out 3 as my favorite.

16. Looks good.

So is that at Almaden Lake? I recognize that bridge. :biggrin:

17. Of the finalists, I like the first two the best. I would like the first one better if the crop was a little closer to her back w/a little less headroom. (I liked the full size image of that shot the best...)

Good job!

18. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    The three finalists all looks great.

19. I like #1 the best but would like to see a tighter crop on the top.

Great shooting!

20. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Frank,

Late to the game here, but i would like to add this comment. Get some makeup powder and have it available at your shoots. This will help keep the glistening on the skin down a bit. I "borrowed" some from our theatre dept. and I started using it during my portrait session with the students from last years musical and it sure helped out a lot.

Cheers,

Wade