Engagement Shoot

Discussion in 'People' started by Seneca, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
  2. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    interesting

3. Since we're in the same business, I won't pull my punches. I like the first pose, but I think you need to fiddle with the white balance, and their expressions don't indicate they're delighted about their upcoming union. The 2nd pose doesn't work for me at all. She seem precariously perched on the tree and having her in the foreground emphasizes her size and makes her appear large in comparison to the groom. And while it's probably a fashion statement, I'd clone out the hole in her jeans.

4. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    We tried at lot of poses with smiles...but for some reason she had tiny eyes and when she smiled it looked as tho they were closed. The beauty of digitial is we can make sure the eyes are open...which I was constantly doing after the first 10 shots. Finally she told me she has had that problem all her life, and thought it best that she didn't smile.

I shot all these RAW so let me go back and see what I used for correction.

Thanks for your input. I don't mind punches at all...I'm thicked skinned and we all learn from hearing what others have to say.

Thanks again.

5. Hey, I like the 3rd shot you added! She looks demure, and you can see the love in his expression! I have nothing against selective color, and the clients always think it's magic!

I have an idea that might improve the composition. Would you mind if I posted another version of your picture?

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!

Thanks Frank. Sure go for it. And as an added note...if anyone wants to do anything to my pictures...feel free.

Seneca:Wink:

7. OK. Here's your original.

BW_FLOWERSSMALL.

I tightened the crop so it cut off part of the bride's shoulder, which is thinning, and shifted the hue of the roses to make them love-red.

8. I like the third one as well. The only thing I would change from UF's crop is a little more cropping on his shoulder so that they are a little more centered in the pic.

9. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Wow Frank...I love it. Thanks for the tip...I will definantly crop more...it is more flattering.

Incidentially I'm just now getting into photographery so I have a lot to learn. It has been a long - life dream, and I plan on taking some courses to help me learn this wonderful trade. How many jobs out there can you work with people who love to smile, have a good time?...not many - so this is another reason I love this arena that I am trying to get into.

I know along the way...there are going to be comments and critiques...but it's vitally important that we take what people have to say...it might save us in the long run.

Thanks ya'll.

10. Little Cub

Little Cub

Feb 13, 2007
    Vegas, baby!
    Hi Seneca,
    For just getting into photography I must say you did a great job! I really like the third one. The suggestions on cropping are great. I think the second could possibly work. Have you tried the "liquify" mask in PS? You may be able to adjust her body slightly with that tool. You may also want to try the effect that you did for the third one on the second picture. Make everything except them monochrome and adjust the levels? Of course, I am still learning as well from the experts here at the cafe, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt :) Let us know the outcome!

Little Cub

11. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Pretty good, but they don't look too happy to me. :biggrin:

2nd one is a little underexposed, and I agree the 3rd one will look better if cropped tighter.

12. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Thanks everyone...I'll try and adjust the EV on the second one.

13. Posing suggestion from Page 62 of the Kodak Pocket Guide to 35mm Photography try having them "tilt chin upward and use a high camera position".

Yea I know its an old book.

14. Hey Seneca, the crop UF did on #3 really works well. Nice capture.

15. Just slim her hips.
    PS CS2
    Edit > Transform > Warp
    then crop

She knows how she looks, but we sell a fantasy.
    Slimming is part of my standard editing for large women.
    This may be overdone but I wanted to show the effect.

972846161_21a36862ab_o.

original

LOVE_LAUGH_LIVE_SM.

16. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Greg...thanks so much...ok...I'll definately try that.

17. Looking back at these two photos the effect of Warp isn't as noticable with her sideways.

Try it with her standing up. Keep the mouse away from her body and Warp towards her hips from each side. If you see lines retry with the mouse further away.

Don't show her the originals, she'll love the photos and think you are the greatest. Also try not to shoot her straight on, have her turn slightly to the side.

18. Warp was new in CS2.
    I used it in every full length photo with this bride.
    I also used a skin softening technique in close-ups.

Here is an original

985253376_5620d36c6e_b.

Here is what she saw

View attachment 108846

Their wedding day is a fantasy come true.
    Sell the fantasy.

19. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Tried to do it in CS3 and i don't get those same options. Could CS2 & 3 be that different?

Great job with the picture...awesome.

20. They are the same as far as Warp
    Try Select All
    Then Edit > Transform > Warp
    A grid should appear that looks like tic tac toe

Place the mouse on one side of her hips a few inches away from her body, Hold the left mouse button down and slide it toward the center of her hips. Do the same thing on the other side. If a line appears or a blank spot, cancel and try again.