Engagement shot

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by Electromen, Aug 23, 2008.

1. You've probably seen a similar shot from me before, but this one is two different exposures. One without the couple is a long exposure for the city. The second shot is with an SB-800 flash with 15"x15" soft box to light the couple, controlled by an SU-800.
    I joined the two in Photoshop.

2789885537_0d2a3670a6_o.png

2. Gigantos

Gigantos Guest

Wow! Fantastic shot. I love it!

3. Electromen,
    At first something about it looked odd, but after a few seconds I really like the pic. It really is an awesome shot and I just might have to borrow the idea someday. :biggrin:

4. Nice stuff, Greg. Both shots taken with the same tripod setup?

5. Greg,
    i like the way this turned out
    but.... i wish that the couple were a little LESS bright
    my reasoning:
    while they DO "match up" brightness-wise with the buildings in the distance.... the dark shrubbery in the left side of the picture is too striking of a contrast to MY eyes, with THEIR brightness

i'd love to see THEM.... at - 1.0 EV, IMHO, of course

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Greg :

Wow. You've just grown in your photography by leaps and bounds this last few years. This is really really nice work.

What I would suggest, offered just as a constructive remark, would be masking and then reversing the big dark blob in the lower left, and then doing a little Shadows/Highlights adjustment to bring it up a bit in terms of luminosity. Right now, it's... well... a big dark blob, and that pulls the eye away from your otherwise wonderful shot. You might also be able to do this with the city shot, and then meld the two together. It might also require some work with the railing, but I think you could leave that relatively dark and have the composition work well.

But still, wow. Nice to see this.

John P.

7. SMH77

SMH77

Feb 11, 2006
    Illinois
    I like it Greg! I did a double-take, a closer study, and then I read your post. :biggrin: I like the end result--it's very nicely done.

Sean

8. Great shot Greg! What a great location. What is the exposure on the city?

9. Debbie H

Debbie H

Aug 23, 2007
    Missouri
    Great shot Greg!!

10. Ruff Draft

Ruff Draft

Sep 2, 2007
    Michigan
    That is great. They've got to love something of that quality!

11. Sorry I haven't replied, it was a busy weekend. I read every post and took your advice seriously.

John P, the dark blob is now covered.

Rodney, the city exposure was f/22, 20 sec., D3, 24-70 f/2.8 lens

Greg, I hoping the exposure for the couple looks more realistic.

Uncle Frank, yes same tripod and exposures were within seconds of each other.

Here is the final one for print.

2797877827_c93fd1359c_o.png

12. Beautiful shot Greg. You have achieved the correct balance of lighting IMO.

13. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Excellent work, Greg! Your control of the lighting really makes it work!

14. Thanks Gordon and John. I've learned more here at the Cafe than any other resource. A big thanks to everyone including Frank and John P.

I'm having this printed 12x18 with a 4" white mat border for guests to sign at the reception. It's one of the things I've been doing for weddings. I don't tell them about it when they sign up and it's not in the contract. I tell them it's a gift from me, they love it.

It also gives me time to get to know the couple and when the wedding day comes, they are more relaxed and have confidence in the photography. Others here may want to try something like this, it's a real ice breaker for the relationship.

15. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Greg :

Good stuff. You've taken a fine shot and made it excellent. I'd think that the couple will be well pleased with this.

John P.

16. BarkisPhoto

BarkisPhoto

Jul 20, 2007
    New England
    Hi, Greg -- nice idea for a shot and great execution! They should be very pleased with this...

Best Regards,

17. That second one looks much better!! Good work.

18. Greg, Both shots are excellent, I mean no disrespect but for some reason it looks photoshoped. The couple just stands out too much, looks better in your second attempt but just doesn't look right. This does not mean your client will notice this...Its just me. :rolleyes: I would also move the text to the right of the couple and larger point size.

19. I like the final version. Works well!

20. kickserv

kickserv Guest

wow, happy moments :smile: