1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

English is a crazy language!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Palouse, Aug 14, 2008.

1. There is no egg in eggplant or ham in hamburger; neither apple nor pine in pineapple. English muffins were not invented in England nor French fries in France. Sweetmeats are candies, while sweetbreads, which aren't sweet, are meat. We take English for granted. But if we explore its paradoxes, we find that quicksand can work slowly, boxing rings are square, and a guinea pig is neither from Guinea nor is it a pig. And why is it that writers write, but fingers don't fing, grocers don't groce, and hammers don't ham? If the plural of tooth is teeth, why isn't the plural of booth beeth? One goose, 2 geese. So, one moose, 2 meese? One index, two indices? Is cheese the plural of choose? If teachers taught, why didn't preachers praught? If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

In what language do people recite at a play, and play at a recital? Ship by truck and send cargo by ship? Have noses that run and feet that smell? Park on driveways and drive on parkways? How can a slim chance and a fat chance be the same, while a wise man and a wise guy are opposites? How can the weather be hot as hell one day and cold as hell another? When a house burns up, it burns down. You fill in a form by filling it out and an alarm clock goes off by going on. When the stars are out, they are visible, but when the lights are out, they are invisible.

And why, when I wind up my watch, I start it, but when I wind up this essay, I end it? Now I know why I flunked English. It's not my fault-the silly language doesn't quite know whether it's coming or going.

2. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    Would you like a Hot Dog with that?

3. rotxlk82

rotxlk82

Jul 20, 2007
    UK
    In England we call eggplant aubergine

Allthough I do agree it is a funny language, I guess we really have to take pity on the non native speakers who have to try and understand our oddities without being truly submerged in them.

4. N_Addy

N_Addy

Dec 16, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    And someone please, oh please, tell me...

Why is the word "abbreviation" so long?

5. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Also, why do we call them apartments when they're together? :biggrin:

6. I'm appreciative to be a native english speaker, so I don't have to learn all the nonsense associated with it! It's such a hodgepodge language, it makes no sense to someone new to it. I feel sorry for those trying to learn!

7. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Why do you get a check at a restaurant? Shouldn't it be a bill?

8. Only if you are a duck!!!

9. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I had to laugh when I read that :smile:

10. monkay

monkay

Jun 12, 2008
    New Jersey
    Nick I think you should give credit where credit is due. Although a worthy and fun read, this is Richard Lederer's work, not yours.

11. We call them "flats" here.

Ronnie

12. It IS a "bill" here.

Ronnie

13. That's what we call them too.

Ronnie

14. I have often wondered about some of the very same things. Thanks for taking the time to show just how impossible it must be to learn english as a 2nd or 3rd language.

15. This might answer that:

A duck walks into a bar and orders a beer. "Four bucks," says the bartender. "Put it on my bill."

16. I'm sure glad English is my native language because I'm certainly not smart enough to learn it as a second one!

17. Jaws

Jaws

Mar 27, 2007
    Columbia, MD
    This is a good one. Thanks for sharing it.

18. Thanks for that info. I got it in an email from one of my former students and simply assumed he had something to do with it. :redface:

So Richard Lederer, great stuff man!

19. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    English is my second language, and I enjoy being able to use it as much as I do!

I love English, as an 8 year old, it was about the only class I enjoyed and exceeded in. I was the best speller in class!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.