English is a crazy language!

A

adrianaitken

Hippopotamus is also river-horse in Latin (or Greek, one of the ancient languages).

But remember folks, a picture is worth a thousand words (whatever the language)

JPS

.....and, why a BOAT is the only (or one of the rare) english word that has a gender ?

:confused:
J-P.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick.

In Holland we have: Als vliegen achter vliegen vliegen,vliegen vliegen vliegensvlug.
Or:Als twee echtparen echt paren,hebben vier echtgenoten echt genoten.

I think English is much easier than correct Dutch. Learn to speak Dutch is difficult,but wait till you have to put it on paper.Perhaps you have heard from "double Dutch"? well ..believe me it exists. F.I.'handelbars'are Handvatten.But Handvaten is used more often.While handvaten means as much as barrels with hands.
Ik hak hout (= i chop wood)
Hij houd van haar (= he loves her)
Hij houdt het vast (= he holds it )
Hout/d/dt it is pronouced the same,but means somenthing way different.
The t/d/dt is only one of the problemchilds in Dutch.
Not strange that we have teachers that flunck for Dutch language.
I have learned my English at home.My father was working for a international shipping agency,so it was not unusual that when the phone ringed we had the other side of the world on our ear.
On school i learned German and French . German,I do understand it,but dont dare to speak it cause i hate to look foolish.French?? Ahh qui.Je vai ou cie le chason de confiture!!:redface:(never made it further than exersise duex= lesson two)

Rob, I spent some time with a little Dutch girl in Jamaica a few years. She wanted me to learn Dutch words and she learned English words.

First day we sit down to breakfast, I say Fork - she says some unpronouncable word as long as my arm - and that was the end of THAT!

I must say, though, one of the reasons I love the Cafe is that I read the posts in English with the accent of the place the person writing them is from in my head!

I must say, though, one of the reasons I love the Cafe is that I read the posts in English with the accent of the place the person writing them is from in my head!

I can also see it affects your own use of English :wink: I had to read your sentence twice!

Latest threads

Top Bottom