Enjoying the 35mm1.8 on my D40 .

These two match up perfectly and I have only been shooting at F1.8 so far and it's really sharp ... [ no PP sharpening done to any of these pictures ]
iso 1000 [ most pics iso 1000 and over ]

I have been told by a few dealers that I seem to have a very sharp version because they haven't seen one this sharp yet so exercise caution . It is possible that the sensor on my D40 is in exactly the correct place for the focal plane of this lens - some sensors need calibration to find the sweet spot .

Interesting comment there Desmond. I have a friend with one and Ill check it out as Im a bit intrigued by this lens also.

Very nice images. Thank you for sharing.

I have been yearning to get your D40 & 35 1.8 combo. I presently have my old D50 and 35 F/2 though. A couple of years ago, I had sent my D50 and 35 F/2, as well as other lenses to Nikon for focus calibration.

I also have a D3, but it seems that I am always taking my D50 with me on family vacations, leaving the D3 behind. The D50 produces wonderful imagery. SOOC jpegs really have a nice look, and along with my calibrated lenses, are very sharp. While I dearly know that the D40 has better DR than my D50 as well as cleaner high ISO noise, and the 35 1.8 is unquestionable sharper than my 35 F/2, I cannot rationalize on changing my gear.

The fact that my 35 F/2 simply focuses very accurately on my D50 is a pleasure. Accurate focus on fast consumer grade lenses is nice to have. And I would not like to possibly have to go through focus calibration again with Nikon.

BTW, would you like to trade your D40/ 35 1.8 combo for my D50 35 F/2 combo? :smile:

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Randy
Very nice images. Thank you for sharing.

I have been yearning to get your D40 & 35 1.8 combo. I presently have my old D50 and 35 F/2 though. A couple of years ago, I had sent my D50 and 35 F/2, as well as other lenses to Nikon for focus calibration.

I also have a D3, but it seems that I am always taking my D50 with me on family vacations, leaving the D3 behind. The D50 produces wonderful imagery. SOOC jpegs really have a nice look, and along with my calibrated lenses, are very sharp. While I dearly know that the D40 has better DR than my D50 as well as cleaner high ISO noise, and the 35 1.8 is unquestionable sharper than my 35 F/2, I cannot rationalize on changing my gear.

The fact that my 35 F/2 simply focuses very accurately on my D50 is a pleasure. Accurate focus on fast consumer grade lenses is nice to have. And I would not like to possibly have to go through focus calibration again with Nikon.

BTW, would you like to trade your D40/ 35 1.8 combo fro my D50 35 F/2 combo? :smile:

Mike

my d300 & d3 stay home when I am not shooting sports for money and my d40 + 18-70 get the call
I am considering the 35 1.8 as well since it's lighter and wider than my 50 1.4
I'm also getting a sb-400 for the d40 since the sb-800 is bigger than the d40

funny how some of us go from small/lt to huge/heavy and then back again

my d300 & d3 stay home when I am not shooting sports for money and my d40 + 18-70 get the call

I hear you. That SB-400 sounds like a great idea also.

Mike

BTW, would you like to trade your D40/ 35 1.8 combo for my D50 35 F/2 combo? :smile:
Mike
A D50 and 35mm f2 combination that works well together is better than a D40 35mm F1.8 combination that isn't callibrated so don't spend money unnecessarily . And I'd leap at the chance to swap :biggrin: but I already have a D50 and the 85mm F1.8 is 'glued' to it .

Great pics. It's posts like this that are going to cause me to have way more lenses than I possibly need :)
love my D40 and 1.8. lovin your pics.
Great pictures Desmond. This lens is pretty much glued onto my D40 too :p
'bill-e' - sounds like you do 'need' it by the other comments :smile:

I hear you. That SB-400 sounds like a great idea also.
Mike
I've got the SB400 as well but when have this lens on I make sure I don't use flash :smile: I'd like to get hold of another 18-70 though !

Love the Bokeh, must be hard using this lens on a d40, regarding the manuel focus and all.
That's the point... this lens is an AF-S lens, it focuses with the D40 and is basically made for the camera. It came out this year and retails for $200 :smile:

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom