1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Enjoying the 35mm1.8 on my D40 .

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Desmond, Aug 8, 2009.

1. These two match up perfectly and I have only been shooting at F1.8 so far and it's really sharp ... [ no PP sharpening done to any of these pictures ]
    iso 1000 [ most pics iso 1000 and over ]

conv09D40015.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

zmarlin007.jpg

zmarlin006.jpg

zmarlin004.jpg

z35test005.jpg

z35test029.jpg

zvinnies35mm012.jpg

2. #1 is very nice
    you got me thinking

3. jshillhouse

jshillhouse

Apr 22, 2009
    Utah
    very nice, I need to get a copy of the 35mm 1.8

4. It's only 11am in the morning here, but now I want a beer!

5. Very nice pic's.

6. alyssaf

alyssaf

Apr 8, 2008
    Georgia
    These are very nice, especially #1. I have got to find one of these. That's incredibly sharp at 1.8.

7. I have been told by a few dealers that I seem to have a very sharp version because they haven't seen one this sharp yet so exercise caution . It is possible that the sensor on my D40 is in exactly the correct place for the focal plane of this lens - some sensors need calibration to find the sweet spot .

8. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    Interesting comment there Desmond. I have a friend with one and Ill check it out as Im a bit intrigued by this lens also.

9. Maybe he'll let you try it out :smile:

10. Longshanks

Longshanks

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Love the sharpness and bokeh.

11. I'm loving it too - it will be staying on my D40 permanently !

12. Very nice images. Thank you for sharing.

I have been yearning to get your D40 & 35 1.8 combo. I presently have my old D50 and 35 F/2 though. A couple of years ago, I had sent my D50 and 35 F/2, as well as other lenses to Nikon for focus calibration.

I also have a D3, but it seems that I am always taking my D50 with me on family vacations, leaving the D3 behind. The D50 produces wonderful imagery. SOOC jpegs really have a nice look, and along with my calibrated lenses, are very sharp. While I dearly know that the D40 has better DR than my D50 as well as cleaner high ISO noise, and the 35 1.8 is unquestionable sharper than my 35 F/2, I cannot rationalize on changing my gear.

The fact that my 35 F/2 simply focuses very accurately on my D50 is a pleasure. Accurate focus on fast consumer grade lenses is nice to have. And I would not like to possibly have to go through focus calibration again with Nikon.

BTW, would you like to trade your D40/ 35 1.8 combo for my D50 35 F/2 combo? :smile:

Mike

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2009
  13. bill-e

bill-e

May 10, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Great pics. It's posts like this that are going to cause me to have way more lenses than I possibly need :) 

14. pogiboipinoi

pogiboipinoi

Apr 11, 2009
    Guam
    love my D40 and 1.8. lovin your pics.

15. Jaytron

Jaytron

Mar 22, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Great pictures Desmond. This lens is pretty much glued onto my D40 too :p 

16. my d300 & d3 stay home when I am not shooting sports for money and my d40 + 18-70 get the call
    I am considering the 35 1.8 as well since it's lighter and wider than my 50 1.4
    I'm also getting a sb-400 for the d40 since the sb-800 is bigger than the d40

funny how some of us go from small/lt to huge/heavy and then back again

17. I hear you. That SB-400 sounds like a great idea also.

Mike

18. A D50 and 35mm f2 combination that works well together is better than a D40 35mm F1.8 combination that isn't callibrated so don't spend money unnecessarily . And I'd leap at the chance to swap :biggrin: but I already have a D50 and the 85mm F1.8 is 'glued' to it .

aCanDav_20090523_113546-1.jpg

'bill-e' - sounds like you do 'need' it by the other comments :smile:

I've got the SB400 as well but when have this lens on I make sure I don't use flash :smile: I'd like to get hold of another 18-70 though !

19. TheHundreds

TheHundreds

Jun 26, 2008
    NYC
    Love the Bokeh, must be hard using this lens on a d40, regarding the manuel focus and all.

20. A.O.M.E.

A.O.M.E.

Feb 1, 2009
    Chicago
    That's the point... this lens is an AF-S lens, it focuses with the D40 and is basically made for the camera. It came out this year and retails for $200 :smile:

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.